J.K. Rowling files a libel lawsuit against newspaper publishers
- Photo: Chris Joseph/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.1 of 10
- Photo: Can Nguyen/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.2 of 10
- Photo: Kiera Fyles/Retna Ltd.3 of 10
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.4 of 10
- Photo: Pete Mariner/Retna Ltd.5 of 10
- Photo: Akira Suemori/Invision/AP6 of 10
- Photo: Akira Suemori/Invision/AP7 of 10
- Photo: Matt Dunham/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'The Killing' Final Season Premiere Date Set for AugustMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 11:13:00 AM
- What's in the Black Box? A Mind-Numbing DanceMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 10:48:00 AM
- Jennifer Berman Joins Roadside Attractions as SVP of Acquisitions, Co-Productions and DevelopmentMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 10:44:00 AM
- Peter Jackson Reveals New Title for Third 'Hobbit' FilmMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 10:06:00 AM
- Maker Studios Partners With Viral Video King Jukin MediaMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 10:00:00 AM
- 'The Killing' Final Season Premiere Date Set for August
Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has filed a libel lawsuit against bosses at British newspaper the Daily Mail over a report published last year about her past as a struggling single mother.
RELATED: Stars and their literary tattoos
The writer claims editors attributed a single incident involving one woman, who had visited her local church in Edinburgh, Scotland, to formulate a story about how her fellow church members treated her in a "bigoted, unchristian manner," because she was raising a child on her own.
Rowling insists the article, titled "How J.K. Rowling's sob story about her past as a single mother has left the churchgoers who cared for her upset and bewildered," damaged her reputation and caused her distress and embarrassment, according to The Guardian.
She is suing executives at the publication over the "misleading and unfair" story, which was published in September.
RELATED: Shocking celebrity sex confessions
The court documents state, "(They wrote) a knowingly false account of her time as a single mother in Edinburgh ... falsely and inexcusably accusing her fellow churchgoers of behaving in a bigoted, unchristian manner towards her, of stigmatizing her and cruelly taunting her for being a single mother."
A journalist reportedly contacted Rowling's lawyer before the article was published, but did not give the author an opportunity to comment.
Rowling is seeking unspecified damages from publishers at parent company Associated Newspapers.
The article has since been removed from the Daily Mail website. A spokesperson for the publication has declined to comment on the case.
RELATED: Shocking social media confessions
It's the latest legal drama for the author. She was awarded damages in July after a British lawyer who outed Rowling as the secret writer of "The Cuckoo's Calling" was fined over the leak.
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
From Lena Dunham to Kristen Stewart, see the most awkward red carpet posers.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Julianne's hunky Canadian hockey beau on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBikini Babe
From Crowd Ignite