J.K. Rowling files a libel lawsuit against newspaper publishers
- Photo: Chris Joseph/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.1 of 10
- Photo: Can Nguyen/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.2 of 10
- Photo: Kiera Fyles/Retna Ltd.3 of 10
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.4 of 10
- Photo: Pete Mariner/Retna Ltd.5 of 10
- Photo: Akira Suemori/Invision/AP6 of 10
- Photo: Akira Suemori/Invision/AP7 of 10
- Photo: Matt Dunham/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:48:00 PM
- ABC's 'The Quest' Producers Reveal How They Found HeroesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:26:00 PM
- Sharknado 2 Sets Record With Nearly 4 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:04:00 PM
- Javier Bardem clarifies comments in open letter about Middle East conflictMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Netflix Revives The Killing For One Last CaseMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:14:00 PM
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'
Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has filed a libel lawsuit against bosses at British newspaper the Daily Mail over a report published last year about her past as a struggling single mother.
RELATED: Stars and their literary tattoos
The writer claims editors attributed a single incident involving one woman, who had visited her local church in Edinburgh, Scotland, to formulate a story about how her fellow church members treated her in a "bigoted, unchristian manner," because she was raising a child on her own.
Rowling insists the article, titled "How J.K. Rowling's sob story about her past as a single mother has left the churchgoers who cared for her upset and bewildered," damaged her reputation and caused her distress and embarrassment, according to The Guardian.
She is suing executives at the publication over the "misleading and unfair" story, which was published in September.
RELATED: Shocking celebrity sex confessions
The court documents state, "(They wrote) a knowingly false account of her time as a single mother in Edinburgh ... falsely and inexcusably accusing her fellow churchgoers of behaving in a bigoted, unchristian manner towards her, of stigmatizing her and cruelly taunting her for being a single mother."
A journalist reportedly contacted Rowling's lawyer before the article was published, but did not give the author an opportunity to comment.
Rowling is seeking unspecified damages from publishers at parent company Associated Newspapers.
The article has since been removed from the Daily Mail website. A spokesperson for the publication has declined to comment on the case.
RELATED: Shocking social media confessions
It's the latest legal drama for the author. She was awarded damages in July after a British lawyer who outed Rowling as the secret writer of "The Cuckoo's Calling" was fined over the leak.
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
From Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz to Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, take a look at some of Hollywood's strangest couples.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
See how Angelina Jolie's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
From Reese Witherspoon to Justin Timberlake, see some of the hottest stars from the south.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSmooch Central
From Crowd Ignite