J.K. Rowling files a libel lawsuit against newspaper publishers
- Photo: Chris Joseph/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.1 of 10
- Photo: Can Nguyen/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.2 of 10
- Photo: Kiera Fyles/Retna Ltd.3 of 10
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.4 of 10
- Photo: Pete Mariner/Retna Ltd.5 of 10
- Photo: Akira Suemori/Invision/AP6 of 10
- Photo: Akira Suemori/Invision/AP7 of 10
- Photo: Matt Dunham/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'Beyond the Lights' Review: Gugu Mbatha-Raw Portrays Divadom With Honesty and CompMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:42:00 PM
- BuzzFeed Taps Andrew Gauthier to Lead Video DivisionMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:25:00 PM
- Roger Goodell Won't Resign From NFL, But Promises Conduct Policy ChangesMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 3:29:00 PM
- HBO Suspends Pre-Production of Brian De Palma's Penn State Molestation Film 'To DeMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- Dancing's Derek Hough: We Have Something "Potentially Dangerous" PlannedMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- 'Beyond the Lights' Review: Gugu Mbatha-Raw Portrays Divadom With Honesty and Comp
Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has filed a libel lawsuit against bosses at British newspaper the Daily Mail over a report published last year about her past as a struggling single mother.
RELATED: Stars and their literary tattoos
The writer claims editors attributed a single incident involving one woman, who had visited her local church in Edinburgh, Scotland, to formulate a story about how her fellow church members treated her in a "bigoted, unchristian manner," because she was raising a child on her own.
Rowling insists the article, titled "How J.K. Rowling's sob story about her past as a single mother has left the churchgoers who cared for her upset and bewildered," damaged her reputation and caused her distress and embarrassment, according to The Guardian.
She is suing executives at the publication over the "misleading and unfair" story, which was published in September.
RELATED: Shocking celebrity sex confessions
The court documents state, "(They wrote) a knowingly false account of her time as a single mother in Edinburgh ... falsely and inexcusably accusing her fellow churchgoers of behaving in a bigoted, unchristian manner towards her, of stigmatizing her and cruelly taunting her for being a single mother."
A journalist reportedly contacted Rowling's lawyer before the article was published, but did not give the author an opportunity to comment.
Rowling is seeking unspecified damages from publishers at parent company Associated Newspapers.
The article has since been removed from the Daily Mail website. A spokesperson for the publication has declined to comment on the case.
RELATED: Shocking social media confessions
It's the latest legal drama for the author. She was awarded damages in July after a British lawyer who outed Rowling as the secret writer of "The Cuckoo's Calling" was fined over the leak.
Royal Beach Bods
Check out the hottest royals enjoying their beach vacations.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTMagical Mermaid
From Crowd Ignite