John Travolta on James Gandolfini: He helped me through my son's death
- Photo: PN2/ARB/WENN1 of 9
- Photo: © Rahav Segev/Retna Ltd.2 of 9
- Photo: © Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.3 of 9
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP4 of 9
- Photo: Jill Connelly/Invision/AP5 of 9
- Photo: Pedro Andrade/Kevin Perkins/Pacific Coast News6 of 9
- Photo: HBO/Rex USA7 of 9
- Photo: Rex USA8 of 9
More Celeb News
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From SonyMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:32:00 PM
- Booboo Stewart Drama 'Sonata' Plucks Director Brendan Foley (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Look Out, Camp Counselors: A Friday the 13th Series Is in the WorksMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:26:00 PM
- 'Godzilla' Draws Fire in New IMAX Poster (Photo)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:09:00 PM
- What Is Survivor's Jeremiah "Kicking Himself" Over?MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 3:29:00 PM
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From Sony
Following the shocking death of his good friend James Gandolfini, John Travolta is on a mission to help support his grieving family. During an interview with "Good Morning America" on Thursday, the 59-year-old actor remembered his "Get Shorty" and "Lonely Hearts" costar, and how Gandolfini helped Travolta through one of the worst times in his life.
When Travolta's son Jett died suddenly of a seizure at the age of 16 in 2009, Gandolfini was by his side. "James went out of his way to come to Florida and he would not leave Florida until I was OK, or he felt that I would be fine," Travolta recalled of his fellow New Jersey native. "After a week I said, 'Jim, you can really, you can, you know, we'll be fine. I've got a lot of support here.'"
"But the idea that in our profession someone would go out of their way and not want to leave you until he felt you were OK, that's the kind of soul that James Gandolfini was," Travolta explained. "He was a people person first, and then everything else."
Now, Travolta wants to do the same for his late friend's family. On Wednesday, "The Sopranos" star died suddenly of a reported heart attack in Rome at the age of 51. He is survived by his wife Deborah Lin, son Michael, 13, and daughter Liliana, 9 months.
"My goal is to make sure that his family is okay," Travolta said. "His little boy, I watched him grow up, and his brand new little girl. We'll just make sure they're taken care of. That's the whole idea."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCat's in the Bag
From Crowd Ignite