John Travolta on James Gandolfini: He helped me through my son's death
- Photo: PN2/ARB/WENN1 of 9
- Photo: © Rahav Segev/Retna Ltd.2 of 9
- Photo: © Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.3 of 9
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP4 of 9
- Photo: Jill Connelly/Invision/AP5 of 9
- Photo: Pedro Andrade/Kevin Perkins/Pacific Coast News6 of 9
- Photo: HBO/Rex USA7 of 9
- Photo: Rex USA8 of 9
More Celeb News
- NBC Renews UndateableMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 5:54:00 AM
- Pamela Anderson wants Faeroes to stop whale driveMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 5:34:53 AM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 8:25 a.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 5:25:28 AM
- Sundance Film Festival Expands to Hong KongMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:12:00 PM
- 'Undateable' Gets Second Season From NBCMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 9:18:00 PM
- NBC Renews Undateable
Following the shocking death of his good friend James Gandolfini, John Travolta is on a mission to help support his grieving family. During an interview with "Good Morning America" on Thursday, the 59-year-old actor remembered his "Get Shorty" and "Lonely Hearts" costar, and how Gandolfini helped Travolta through one of the worst times in his life.
When Travolta's son Jett died suddenly of a seizure at the age of 16 in 2009, Gandolfini was by his side. "James went out of his way to come to Florida and he would not leave Florida until I was OK, or he felt that I would be fine," Travolta recalled of his fellow New Jersey native. "After a week I said, 'Jim, you can really, you can, you know, we'll be fine. I've got a lot of support here.'"
"But the idea that in our profession someone would go out of their way and not want to leave you until he felt you were OK, that's the kind of soul that James Gandolfini was," Travolta explained. "He was a people person first, and then everything else."
Now, Travolta wants to do the same for his late friend's family. On Wednesday, "The Sopranos" star died suddenly of a reported heart attack in Rome at the age of 51. He is survived by his wife Deborah Lin, son Michael, 13, and daughter Liliana, 9 months.
"My goal is to make sure that his family is okay," Travolta said. "His little boy, I watched him grow up, and his brand new little girl. We'll just make sure they're taken care of. That's the whole idea."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Sexy Marky Mark
Take a look back at Mark Wahlberg's best shirtless looks over the yearsWatch Video »
From Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz to Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, take a look at some of Hollywood's strangest couples.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSmooch Central
From Crowd Ignite