John Travolta urges action on Hollywood drug abuse
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/AP1 of 15
- Photo: MSAA/ZOB/ZDS/WENN2 of 15
- Photo: Vince Bucci/Invision/Invision/AP3 of 15
- Photo: Marco Provvisionato/StarTraks4 of 15
- Photo: Rob Griffith/Invision/AP5 of 15
- Photo: Marcos Pinto/Splash News6 of 15
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/Star Max/FilmMagic7 of 15
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/Invision/AP8 of 15
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/Invision/AP9 of 15
- Photo: 247PapsTV/Splash News10 of 15
- Photo: Richard Young/Rex / Rex USA/Rex USA11 of 15
- Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage12 of 15
- Photo: Stewart Cook / Rex USA/Wonderwall13 of 15
- Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Ratings: Halle Berry's 'Extant' Flat in New Time Period, Ties Rising &MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 8:37:00 AM
- Lorde to perform lead single, curate tracks for 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 8:23:00 AM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 11:10 a.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 8:10:19 AM
- Starz' 'Outlander' brings novels to life vibrantlyMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 8:01:52 AM
- New Mexico city OKs funds to lure 'The Bachelor'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 7:44:42 AM
- Ratings: Halle Berry's 'Extant' Flat in New Time Period, Ties Rising &
As Hollywood continues to mourn its recent losses to substance abuse, veteran actor John Travolta is calling for preventative measures to combat the lethal pattern.
"Something needs to be done about all the artists we're losing to drugs, because I'm tired of it," Travolta said Saturday at the Church of Scientology Celebrity Centre's 44th Anniversary Gala.
The 59-year-old actor, who's starred in dozens of films since the '70s, said that his passion for the topic led him to deliver an impromptu speech at the event, urging his fellow Hollywood comrades to take action on the matter.
"I don't want to lose any more artists. It's too much already," he said during his speech.
There are a variety of options available to treat substance abuse. Travolta, who has been a member of Church of Scientology since 1975, discussed Scientology's program for detoxifying a drug abuser.
Joining Travolta at the event, which was hosted in Hollywood, was his wife, Kelly Preston, who gave an update on her son Benjamin, who will turn 3 years old in November.
"Ben's amazing. He's getting so big, talking up a storm, and [is] just so funny," the 50-year-old actress said. "He loves to play. We play 'monsters' all the time and hide and I'm the bad monster. ... He's just really great."
Click here to watch the video featuring Travolta's spontaneous speech on substance abuse.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPool Party
From Crowd Ignite