John Travolta urges action on Hollywood drug abuse
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/AP1 of 15
- Photo: MSAA/ZOB/ZDS/WENN2 of 15
- Photo: Vince Bucci/Invision/Invision/AP3 of 15
- Photo: Marco Provvisionato/StarTraks4 of 15
- Photo: Rob Griffith/Invision/AP5 of 15
- Photo: Marcos Pinto/Splash News6 of 15
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/Star Max/FilmMagic7 of 15
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/Invision/AP8 of 15
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/Invision/AP9 of 15
- Photo: 247PapsTV/Splash News10 of 15
- Photo: Richard Young/Rex / Rex USA/Rex USA11 of 15
- Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage12 of 15
- Photo: Stewart Cook / Rex USA/Wonderwall13 of 15
- Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage14 of 15
More Celeb News
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'SupernatMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:38:41 PM
- Paul Walker Death: 'Fast & Furious' Franchise Posts Tribute on YouTube (ViMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:35:39 PM
- If PG-13 Is the Moneymaker, Why Is Hollywood Cranking Out So Many R-Rated Movies?MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:28:09 PM
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu to direct 'Jungle Book' movie for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:26:12 PM
- Best & Worst 2013: Movie Moments of the Year '12 Years a Slave,' &apoMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:19:43 PM
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'Supernat
As Hollywood continues to mourn its recent losses to substance abuse, veteran actor John Travolta is calling for preventative measures to combat the lethal pattern.
"Something needs to be done about all the artists we're losing to drugs, because I'm tired of it," Travolta said Saturday at the Church of Scientology Celebrity Centre's 44th Anniversary Gala.
The 59-year-old actor, who's starred in dozens of films since the '70s, said that his passion for the topic led him to deliver an impromptu speech at the event, urging his fellow Hollywood comrades to take action on the matter.
"I don't want to lose any more artists. It's too much already," he said during his speech.
There are a variety of options available to treat substance abuse. Travolta, who has been a member of Church of Scientology since 1975, discussed Scientology's program for detoxifying a drug abuser.
Joining Travolta at the event, which was hosted in Hollywood, was his wife, Kelly Preston, who gave an update on her son Benjamin, who will turn 3 years old in November.
"Ben's amazing. He's getting so big, talking up a storm, and [is] just so funny," the 50-year-old actress said. "He loves to play. We play 'monsters' all the time and hide and I'm the bad monster. ... He's just really great."
Click here to watch the video featuring Travolta's spontaneous speech on substance abuse.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Check out which of Hollywood's geeky guys get all the hottest ladies.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
See how Kim Kardashian, Fergie, Duchess Kate and more celebs look now that they've lost their pregnancy weight.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCause of Death
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite