John Travolta urges action on Hollywood drug abuse
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/AP1 of 15
- Photo: MSAA/ZOB/ZDS/WENN2 of 15
- Photo: Vince Bucci/Invision/Invision/AP3 of 15
- Photo: Marco Provvisionato/StarTraks4 of 15
- Photo: Rob Griffith/Invision/AP5 of 15
- Photo: Marcos Pinto/Splash News6 of 15
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/Star Max/FilmMagic7 of 15
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/Invision/AP8 of 15
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/Invision/AP9 of 15
- Photo: 247PapsTV/Splash News10 of 15
- Photo: Richard Young/Rex / Rex USA/Rex USA11 of 15
- Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage12 of 15
- Photo: Stewart Cook / Rex USA/Wonderwall13 of 15
- Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Teen Wolf Renewed for a Fifth Season MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:58:00 PM
- ESPN's SEC Network Scores Carriage Deal With Time Warner Cable, Bright HouseMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:48:00 PM
- Museums plan Piero di Cosimo exhibit in US, ItalyMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:37:49 PM
- Christopher Nolan, Matthew McConaughey Offer Early Look at 'Interstellar'MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Dwayne Johnson holds surprise 'Hercules' screeningMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:16:28 PM
- Teen Wolf Renewed for a Fifth Season
As Hollywood continues to mourn its recent losses to substance abuse, veteran actor John Travolta is calling for preventative measures to combat the lethal pattern.
"Something needs to be done about all the artists we're losing to drugs, because I'm tired of it," Travolta said Saturday at the Church of Scientology Celebrity Centre's 44th Anniversary Gala.
The 59-year-old actor, who's starred in dozens of films since the '70s, said that his passion for the topic led him to deliver an impromptu speech at the event, urging his fellow Hollywood comrades to take action on the matter.
"I don't want to lose any more artists. It's too much already," he said during his speech.
There are a variety of options available to treat substance abuse. Travolta, who has been a member of Church of Scientology since 1975, discussed Scientology's program for detoxifying a drug abuser.
Joining Travolta at the event, which was hosted in Hollywood, was his wife, Kelly Preston, who gave an update on her son Benjamin, who will turn 3 years old in November.
"Ben's amazing. He's getting so big, talking up a storm, and [is] just so funny," the 50-year-old actress said. "He loves to play. We play 'monsters' all the time and hide and I'm the bad monster. ... He's just really great."
Click here to watch the video featuring Travolta's spontaneous speech on substance abuse.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Kim Kardashian flaunts her bikini bod in two bizarre Instagram video clips on location in Thailand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Nick Cannon shows off a new cheetah print hairstyle on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStylish Mama
From Crowd Ignite