John Travolta urges action on Hollywood drug abuse
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/AP1 of 15
- Photo: MSAA/ZOB/ZDS/WENN2 of 15
- Photo: Vince Bucci/Invision/Invision/AP3 of 15
- Photo: Marco Provvisionato/StarTraks4 of 15
- Photo: Rob Griffith/Invision/AP5 of 15
- Photo: Marcos Pinto/Splash News6 of 15
- Photo: Demis Maryannakis/Star Max/FilmMagic7 of 15
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/Invision/AP8 of 15
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/Invision/AP9 of 15
- Photo: 247PapsTV/Splash News10 of 15
- Photo: Richard Young/Rex / Rex USA/Rex USA11 of 15
- Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage12 of 15
- Photo: Stewart Cook / Rex USA/Wonderwall13 of 15
- Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage14 of 15
More Celeb News
- 'Game of Thrones,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'Silicon Valley&MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 5:04:00 PM
- Stacy Keibler and Husband Welcome a Baby GirlMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:27:00 PM
- Matthew McConaughey Courted for 'The Stand,' Nearing Deal for 'Gold&aMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:27:00 PM
- The Mindy Project Taps Niecy Nash as Mindy's RivalMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:22:00 PM
- Steve Martin in Negotiations to Star in Disney's 'Magic Camp'MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:01:00 PM
- 'Game of Thrones,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'Silicon Valley&
As Hollywood continues to mourn its recent losses to substance abuse, veteran actor John Travolta is calling for preventative measures to combat the lethal pattern.
"Something needs to be done about all the artists we're losing to drugs, because I'm tired of it," Travolta said Saturday at the Church of Scientology Celebrity Centre's 44th Anniversary Gala.
The 59-year-old actor, who's starred in dozens of films since the '70s, said that his passion for the topic led him to deliver an impromptu speech at the event, urging his fellow Hollywood comrades to take action on the matter.
"I don't want to lose any more artists. It's too much already," he said during his speech.
There are a variety of options available to treat substance abuse. Travolta, who has been a member of Church of Scientology since 1975, discussed Scientology's program for detoxifying a drug abuser.
Joining Travolta at the event, which was hosted in Hollywood, was his wife, Kelly Preston, who gave an update on her son Benjamin, who will turn 3 years old in November.
"Ben's amazing. He's getting so big, talking up a storm, and [is] just so funny," the 50-year-old actress said. "He loves to play. We play 'monsters' all the time and hide and I'm the bad monster. ... He's just really great."
Click here to watch the video featuring Travolta's spontaneous speech on substance abuse.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott put their cheating scandal behind them and vacation as a family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFashion Offenders
From Crowd Ignite