Angelina Jolie's aunt dies of breast cancer days after op-ed
- Photo: KH1/WENN1 of 20
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP2 of 20
- Photo: People/.3 of 20
- Photo: People4 of 20
- Photo: People/.5 of 20
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/FilmMagic6 of 20
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage7 of 20
- Photo: Paul Grover/Rex USA8 of 20
- Photo: Daniel Zuchnik/Getty Images North America9 of 20
- Photo: Paul Grover/Rex USA10 of 20
- Photo: Marquez/Fame Flynet11 of 20
- Photo: CHP/Fame Flynet12 of 20
- Photo: CHP/Fame Flynet13 of 20
- Photo: CHP/Fame Flynet14 of 20
- Photo: Venturelli/WireImage15 of 20
- Photo: V Jackman/FilmMagic16 of 20
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN17 of 20
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage18 of 20
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP19 of 20
More Celeb News
- FX Boss John Landgraf Clarifies 'True Detective' Remark Calm Down People, He&MSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Auschwitz Selfie' Outrage: But You're Supposed to Take PicturesMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 3:41:00 PM
- Marvel Announces Another 2018 ReleaseMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 3:08:00 PM
- Tommy Lee Jones Joins Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman in 'Criminal'MSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 2:45:00 PM
- 'Gotham' Creator on Why Batman Would Spell the End of the ShowMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 2:24:00 PM
- FX Boss John Landgraf Clarifies 'True Detective' Remark Calm Down People, He&
ESCONDIDO, Calif. (AP) — Less than two weeks after Angelina Jolie revealed she'd had a double mastectomy to avoid breast cancer, her aunt died from the disease Sunday.
Debbie Martin died at age 61 at a hospital in Escondido, Calif., near San Diego, her husband, Ron Martin, told The Associated Press.
Debbie Martin was the younger sister of Jolie's mother, Marcheline Bertrand, whose own death from ovarian cancer in 2007 inspired the surgery that Jolie described in a May 14 op-ed in the New York Times.
According to her husband, Debbie Martin had the same defective BRCA1 gene that Jolie does, but didn't know it until after her 2004 cancer diagnosis.
"Had we known, we certainly would have done exactly what Angelina did," Ron Martin said in a phone interview.
Debbie Martin's death was first reported by E! News.
Ron Martin said after getting breast cancer, Debbie Martin had her ovaries removed preventively because she was also at very high genetic risk for ovarian cancer, which has killed several women in her family.
The 37-year-old Jolie said in her op-ed that her doctors estimated that she had a 50 percent risk of getting ovarian cancer but an 87 percent risk of breast cancer.
She had her breasts removed first, reducing her likelihood to a mere 5 percent.
She described the three-step surgical process in detail in the op-ed "because I hope that other women can benefit from my experience."
The story, a surprise to most save those closest to Jolie, spurred a broad discussion of genetic testing and pre-emptive surgery.
A message left with representatives seeking comment from Jolie was not immediately returned.
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite