Josh Brolin: Terrible 2013 was a turning point
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage1 of 7
- Photo: .2 of 7
- Photo: Copetti/Photofab/Rex USA3 of 7
- Photo: Richie Buxo/Splash News4 of 7
- Photo: Lee Jin-man/Invision/AP5 of 7
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com6 of 7
More Celeb News
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-HostMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Brett Ratner to Produce Donna Tartt's 'The Goldfinch' for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:39:00 PM
- Sherri Shepherd Joins Ice Cube, Kevin Hart in 'Ride Along 2' for First Post-&aMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- Comic-Con 'Zombie Walk' Accident: Fate of Next Year's Event Is UncertainMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter Signs New Overall Deal With 20th TVMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:00:00 PM
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-Host
Actor Josh Brolin reveals his arrest for public intoxication last year was a "wake-up" call to quit booze and clean up his act.
The "No Country for Old Men" star started off 2013 badly after he was taken into custody in Santa Monica, Calif., on New Year's Day when a drinking session got out of hand.
The year went further downhill, with his marriage to Diane Lane heading to the divorce courts and separate violent altercations with a bouncer and a taxi driver.
He eventually checked into rehab in November 2013 to deal with his issues, and he admits it forced him to deal with the grief surrounding his mother Jane Agee's death in a car crash on his 27th birthday in 1996.
Brolin tells The Guardian newspaper, "Well, it [the arrest] was another turning point. It made me think of a lot of things. My mum dying when I was in my 20's. All the impact that had on me that I hadn't moved past; I was always such a momma's boy. But I realized that I was on a destructive path. I knew that I had to change and mature. It was like I stepped back and saw the hamster wheel."
Brolin, who has previously admitted to smoking heroin in his youth, also reveals most of the hard-living crowd he hung around with in his teens are now dead.
He adds, "I tried heroin. That sounds so horrible when you put it like that. But yeah, I tried heroin. I mean, I never got into it and I never died from it, which is a good thing. I've had 19 friends who died. Most of those guys I grew up with, they're all dead now."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite