Judge refuses to delay Lindsay Lohan trial date
- Photo: Erik Pendzich/Rex USA1 of 9
- Photo: Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP2 of 9
- Photo: GRPR/GSI3 of 9
- Photo: Splash News4 of 9
- Photo: MWB/BSB/ZOJ/WENN5 of 9
- Photo: SSJ/ZOB/ZDS/WENN6 of 9
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com7 of 9
- Photo: Optic Photos/PacificCoastNews.com8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Seth Rogen and James Franco's 'The Interview' Blasted by North Korea in UMSNEntertainment 7/9/2014 4:50:00 PM
- Lilly Ghalici Exits Bravo's 'Shahs of Sunset'MSNEntertainment 7/9/2014 4:28:00 PM
- Justin Bieber Avoids Jail After Pleading No Contest in Egging CaseMSNEntertainment 7/9/2014 3:39:00 PM
- 'Divergent' Trilogy Closer 'Allegiant' Drafts 'Maze RunMSNEntertainment 7/9/2014 3:23:00 PM
- Tom Cruise Recruits Alec Baldwin, 'White Queen's' Rebecca Ferguson for &aMSNEntertainment 7/9/2014 3:19:00 PM
- Seth Rogen and James Franco's 'The Interview' Blasted by North Korea in U
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A judge refused Friday to delay Lindsay Lohan's trial on reckless driving and other charges and admonished her attorney, saying the lawyer needs help on the case.
RELATED: Stars who are aging in reverse
Superior Court Judge James R. Dabney advised New York lawyer Mark Heller that his pleadings weren't appropriate under California law.
Heller was told to get assistance from another attorney or Lohan would be required to attend hearings to gauge his ability to represent her.
The actress wasn't obligated to attend Friday's hearing. Heller said after the hearing that while his motions didn't conform to California law, he was simply trying to protect Lohan's rights and would continue to do so.
Dabney also said there was no good reason to delay the March 18 trial, noting that he was skeptical that more time would allow Lohan to demonstrate she had changed after years of run-ins with the law.
"I don't know how the next two weeks is suddenly going to change the history of this case, these cases," Dabney said.
Lohan has pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, lying to police and obstructing officers after her sports car crashed in June as she and a passenger headed to a movie shoot.
Lohan was on probation in a theft case at the time.
Heller had sought a delay as he works with prosecutors to reach a plea deal that could allow Lohan to pursue inspirational speaking or other community service.
The attorney rejected the notion that the actress needs rehab, noting that she has been sentenced to treatment several times before and she still ends up in trouble. "This is not what she needs — rehab," Heller said.
He said Lohan is engaged on one-on-one psychotherapy.
"Lindsay doesn't have a problem with alcohol and drugs," he said. "Lindsay's issues are different," he said, declining to elaborate further.
Lohan could face a return to jail if she is convicted, or if a judge determines she violated the terms of her sentence in the 2011 necklace theft case.
RELATED: Most famous celeb pets
Check out some of the cutest celeb baby bumps hitting the beach this summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez brings the glam while spending time with her fam at Paris Fashion Week on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Rihanna shows her softer, sweeter side -- plus a newfound maternal instinct! -- on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Justin Timberlake, Kristen Bell and more stars enjoying summery activities -- from golf and tennis to romps on the beach and more!Watch Video »
Kourtney Kardashian and more pregnant stars show off their baby bumps over the holiday weekend on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite