- Photo: Erik Pendzich/Rex USA1 of 9
- Photo: Richard Shotwell/AP2 of 9
- Photo: GRPR/GSI3 of 9
- Photo: Splash News4 of 9
- Photo: MWB/BSB/ZOJ/WENN5 of 9
- Photo: SSJ/ZOB/ZDS/WENN6 of 9
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com7 of 9
- Photo: Optic Photos/PacificCoastNews.com8 of 9
More Celeb News
- 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducteesMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 4:24:15 PM
- Why 'The Great Gatsby' Reveals A Huge Divide Between Hollywood And Its Fans (VideoMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 4:15:45 PM
- Oscar Winner Ari Sandel to Direct 'The DUFF' for CBS Films (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 3:55:03 PM
- Justin Bieber Spanked Over Monkey Lodging FeesMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 3:32:00 PM
- '21 Jump Street' Villain Rob Riggle Joins Fox Comedy 'Let's Be CMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 3:20:36 PM
- 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A judge refused Friday to delay Lindsay Lohan's trial on reckless driving and other charges and admonished her attorney, saying the lawyer needs help on the case.
RELATED: Stars who are aging in reverse
Superior Court Judge James R. Dabney advised New York lawyer Mark Heller that his pleadings weren't appropriate under California law.
Heller was told to get assistance from another attorney or Lohan would be required to attend hearings to gauge his ability to represent her.
The actress wasn't obligated to attend Friday's hearing. Heller said after the hearing that while his motions didn't conform to California law, he was simply trying to protect Lohan's rights and would continue to do so.
Dabney also said there was no good reason to delay the March 18 trial, noting that he was skeptical that more time would allow Lohan to demonstrate she had changed after years of run-ins with the law.
"I don't know how the next two weeks is suddenly going to change the history of this case, these cases," Dabney said.
Lohan has pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, lying to police and obstructing officers after her sports car crashed in June as she and a passenger headed to a movie shoot.
Lohan was on probation in a theft case at the time.
Heller had sought a delay as he works with prosecutors to reach a plea deal that could allow Lohan to pursue inspirational speaking or other community service.
The attorney rejected the notion that the actress needs rehab, noting that she has been sentenced to treatment several times before and she still ends up in trouble. "This is not what she needs — rehab," Heller said.
He said Lohan is engaged on one-on-one psychotherapy.
"Lindsay doesn't have a problem with alcohol and drugs," he said. "Lindsay's issues are different," he said, declining to elaborate further.
Lohan could face a return to jail if she is convicted, or if a judge determines she violated the terms of her sentence in the 2011 necklace theft case.
RELATED: Most famous celeb pets
Selena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
Florence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite