Julianne Hough apologizes for blackface, while dressing as 'Orange Is the New Black' character for Halloween
- Photo: WP#ACL/ZOJ/WENN1 of 10
- Photo: WP#ACL/ZOJ/WENN2 of 10
- Photo: WP#ACL/ZOJ/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: Alberto Reyes/WENN4 of 10
- Photo: AP Images/Wonderwall5 of 10
- Photo: BEImages/Jim Smeal/Rex USA6 of 10
- Photo: BEImages/Jim Smeal/Rex USA7 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage8 of 10
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage9 of 10
More Celeb News
- James Franco Wins One for 'Spring Breakers' Just Like That, A24s Awards Campaign MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 4:18:23 PM
- Orel Hershiser Joining Dodgers TV Broadcast Team (Report)MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 2:52:05 PM
- 'Metro Manila' Comes Out on Top at British Independent Film AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 2:46:27 PM
- Susan Boyle Calls Asperger's Diagnosis a ReliefMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 1:35:40 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: Felicity Jones Anything But an 'Invisible Woman' as DickMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 12:40:09 PM
- James Franco Wins One for 'Spring Breakers' Just Like That, A24s Awards Campaign
Sincerest form of flattery? Not exactly. Julianne Hough's Halloween costume is stirring up quite the controversy, and rubbing people the wrong way. The "Safe Haven" actress showed up to a Halloween party in Beverly Hills, Calif., dressed in blackface on Friday.
The 25-year-old was photographed dressed as the character Crazy Eyes (played by Uzo Aduba) from the new Netflix hit, "Orange Is the New Black."
Hough went all out for her costume, wearing orange prison attire, her hair in a knotted 'do and even had an I.D. with the name "Crazy Eyes" on it. The former Dancing With the Stars professional dancer looked to be with a group of six female friends dressed up as several of the other fictional inmates as well.
Hearing of the backlash, Hough quickly took to Twitter to respond the following day. "I am a huge fan of the show Orange is the New black, actress Uzo Aduba, and the character she has created," she wrote on Saturday. "It certainly was never my intention to be disrespectful or demeaning to anyone in any way. I realize my costume hurt and offended people and I truly apologize."
Hough's ex Ryan Seacrest also was in attendance at the party, but the two didn't seem to interact with each other, a source tells Us Weekly. The two split in March after dating for more than two years.
The "Footloose" star's unfortunate choice of clothing comes as Hough is in mid-production of her latest film, "Curve." The Netflix series "OITNB" is currently filming its second season, and is set to return in 2014.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Christina Aguilera to Jennifer Hudson, see some of Hollywood's ever-changing waistlines.Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGrammy Gold
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite