Just Wondering: Can we please give the Gabourey Sidibe body scrutiny a rest?Related: Gabourey Sidibe
- Photo: Matt Sayles/AP1 of 6
- Photo: Jeff Kravitz/GettyImages.com2 of 6
- Photo: Frazer Harrison/GettyImages.com3 of 6
- Photo: Craig Barritt/WireImage.com4 of 6
- Photo: Matt Sayles/AP5 of 6
More Celeb News
- ABC's 'Revenge' Ups Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts to Executive ProducersMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:08:58 PM
- Carole King Hits D.C. for Gershwin Salute MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:03:12 PM
- Zac Efron Will Get Busted With Cocaine in Fox's 'Narc'MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 5:00:27 PM
- Universal's 'Endless Love' Hitting Theaters on Valentine's DayMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 4:47:06 PM
- TLC's 'Little Couple' Preview: A Crash Course in Parenting (Exclusive VidMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 4:21:51 PM
- ABC's 'Revenge' Ups Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts to Executive Producers
By Melissa Hunter
Ever since the Oscars, Gabourey Sidibe has been a big topic of conversation. And not because of her transformative role in "Precious." All that seems to be discussed is her weight.
And now TMZ reports that the CEO of a diet pill company wrote Gabourey a letter imploring her to use their product., saying, "The only way you can reach your goal of someday winning that Oscar is by being active, fit and most of all, healthy!" You know, that's how I try to lead a healthy lifestyle: by taking diet pills. Right after my morning gallon of Diet Coke and mid-afternoon shame-spiral crying sesh.
Which is a fair question as many unknown Best Actress nominees have continued on without hitting mainstream success. But the focal point is solely her size. Howard Stern, in all his reprehensible glory, said on his show, "Theres the most enormous, fat black chick I've ever seen. She is enormous. Everyone's pretending she's a part of show business and she's never going to be in another movie. She should have gotten the Best Actress award because she's never going to have another shot. What movie is she gonna be in?… Oprah's another liar, a filthy liar. She's telling an enormous woman the size of a planet that she's going to have a career."
Well, Howard, you've had a career looking like the lovechild of Gene Simmons and Sideshow Bob, so maybe you should be more understanding.
And really, would this kind of scrutiny and attention ever be focused on a man? Was John Goodman being harassed by Jenny Craig in his '90s heyday? Will Jonah Hill ever have a future in film if he doesn't get a stomach staple? Of course. Sex appeal isn't the sole criteria for the success of a male actor in Hollywood. There's a reason why there isn't a movie called "He's Out of Your League."
The overarching irony is that the movie that made Gabourey a breakout movie star was all about overcoming adversity and disproving people's expectations of someone deemed a lost cause.
Sure, everyone should be conscious of their dietary health and yes, Gabourey might have had poor dietary habits and are presumably legitimate concerns about her health. You know who else we should worry about? Kate Bosworth, Kristin Cavallari, AnnaLynne McCord and the other members of Hollywood's scary skinny club.
Gabourey is a talented actress, a sassy personality, and has the backing of Oprah Friggin' Winfrey. I have faith that she, much like her character in "Precious," will prove all those naysayers wrong and have a baller career, which will hopefully involve at some point in time kicking Howard Stern square in the nuts. Bad joke intended.
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite