Just Wondering: Can we please give the Gabourey Sidibe body scrutiny a rest?
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP1 of 6
- Photo: Jeff Kravitz/GettyImages.com2 of 6
- Photo: Frazer Harrison/GettyImages.com3 of 6
- Photo: Craig Barritt/WireImage.com4 of 6
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP5 of 6
More Celeb News
- R. Kelly Performs Song He Wrote for Nelson Mandela on 'Arsenio' (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 5:09:35 PM
- 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug' Review: Peter Jackson's Second VersMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 5:03:45 PM
- Fox Sports 1 Scores Best Ratings Week Since August LaunchMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 4:44:04 PM
- New York Post Settles Racial and Sexual Discrimination LawsuitMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 4:30:51 PM
- 'American Hustle' Cast To Be Honored by Palm Springs FestMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 4:20:58 PM
- R. Kelly Performs Song He Wrote for Nelson Mandela on 'Arsenio' (Video)
By Melissa Hunter
Ever since the Oscars, Gabourey Sidibe has been a big topic of conversation. And not because of her transformative role in "Precious." All that seems to be discussed is her weight.
And now TMZ reports that the CEO of a diet pill company wrote Gabourey a letter imploring her to use their product., saying, "The only way you can reach your goal of someday winning that Oscar is by being active, fit and most of all, healthy!" You know, that's how I try to lead a healthy lifestyle: by taking diet pills. Right after my morning gallon of Diet Coke and mid-afternoon shame-spiral crying sesh.
Which is a fair question as many unknown Best Actress nominees have continued on without hitting mainstream success. But the focal point is solely her size. Howard Stern, in all his reprehensible glory, said on his show, "Theres the most enormous, fat black chick I've ever seen. She is enormous. Everyone's pretending she's a part of show business and she's never going to be in another movie. She should have gotten the Best Actress award because she's never going to have another shot. What movie is she gonna be in?… Oprah's another liar, a filthy liar. She's telling an enormous woman the size of a planet that she's going to have a career."
Well, Howard, you've had a career looking like the lovechild of Gene Simmons and Sideshow Bob, so maybe you should be more understanding.
And really, would this kind of scrutiny and attention ever be focused on a man? Was John Goodman being harassed by Jenny Craig in his '90s heyday? Will Jonah Hill ever have a future in film if he doesn't get a stomach staple? Of course. Sex appeal isn't the sole criteria for the success of a male actor in Hollywood. There's a reason why there isn't a movie called "He's Out of Your League."
The overarching irony is that the movie that made Gabourey a breakout movie star was all about overcoming adversity and disproving people's expectations of someone deemed a lost cause.
Sure, everyone should be conscious of their dietary health and yes, Gabourey might have had poor dietary habits and are presumably legitimate concerns about her health. You know who else we should worry about? Kate Bosworth, Kristin Cavallari, AnnaLynne McCord and the other members of Hollywood's scary skinny club.
Gabourey is a talented actress, a sassy personality, and has the backing of Oprah Friggin' Winfrey. I have faith that she, much like her character in "Precious," will prove all those naysayers wrong and have a baller career, which will hopefully involve at some point in time kicking Howard Stern square in the nuts. Bad joke intended.
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCheap Jewelry
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite