Just Wondering: Is there really an Oscar curse?Related: Just Wondering, Kate Winslet, Sandra Bullock, Jesse James
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/GettyImages.com1 of 11
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP2 of 11
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP3 of 11
- Photo: Justin Lubin/AP4 of 11
- Photo: Jason Merritt/GettyImages.com5 of 11
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP6 of 11
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com7 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com8 of 11
- Photo: Vince Bucci/AP9 of 11
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Mike Darnell Talks Fox Exit, 'American Idol,' Whether 'X Factor'MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 4:46:42 PM
- 3 Reasons Lena Dunham Can't Laugh Off 'Girls' Porn ParodyMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 4:35:33 PM
- YouTube's Most Popular Rappers Are White and Nerdy - and Bigger Than Bieber, PSYMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 4:00:39 PM
- 'The East' Filmmakers Go From Dumpster-Diving to Sundance Darlings ... and Get a TMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 3:43:13 PM
- WME Signs Departing Fox Exec Mike Darnell (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 2:11:54 PM
- Mike Darnell Talks Fox Exit, 'American Idol,' Whether 'X Factor'
By Melissa Hunter
Between the sad scandal that's emerging with Sandra Bullock and Jesse James and the recent news of Kate Winslet and Sam Mendes splitting, many press outlets are concluding that an Oscar curse is haunting a slew of talented actresses who have won an Academy Award over the past two decades.
Kate and Sandra follow in a line of many Best Actress winners who split with their husbands soon after their wins: Reese Witherspoon, Hilary Swank, and Halle Berry, to name a few. In fact, eight of the past 12 Best Actress winners have since split from their significant others.
Much of the media is wondering about the cause for this so-called "curse." A lot of the theories have really fun and sexist undertones, too. One article wonders, "Is it because victory goes to their heads and these women become impossible divas to live with?" Hmm, didn't Sean Penn recently win two Oscars, only to fall victim to a messy divorce, as well? But never mind that.
Others theorize that successful professional women push their personal lives to the wayside. I'd like to call BS on that, if I may. Or at least, high-profile men destroy their personal lives just as much. I could give you numerous examples of this (Mel Gibson comes to mind), but there's a character limit to this article. Just another reinforcement of how women simply cannot have it all. Sigh.
Might it be that these men can't handle the fact that the women in their lives are more successful than they are? Potentially. Dudes have struggled with that ever since the invention of the female power suit. The Daily Beast asks, "Is the ultimate honor for women in Hollywood the ultimate castration for men?" Castration? Really? Get over it, fellas. This whole women's lib thing isn't exactly breaking news.
Unfortunately, this assessment is a fairly valid argument. The problem seems to be that some Hollywood guys are living in 1962 and pining for a Betty Draper housewife. And none of these baller women would put up with that kind of nonsense.
While the timing of these two Best Actress splits is too odd to be ignored, no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. But can we just state the most obvious, undeniable factor in these two pairings? Kate and Sandra are light-years hotter than Sam and Jesse. Case closed.
RELATED VIDEO: Oscar winners' love curse?
So what's the deal? Is this a verified "Oscar Curse" or is it just plain old Hollywood instability? Take a look at the fallen golden couples and decide for yourself.
- Chief BeefKaty Perry incites a Twitter feud with a 17-year-old rapper. Get the dirty details on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Fashion BluesKourtney Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens and Tara Reid all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Fights & FeudsGet the scoop on some of the most recent Hollywood feuds on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Svelte BodKhloe Kardashian showed off her svelte figure, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Last TripGet the scoop on Kim’s final pre-baby Parisian getaway on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Magic LoveThe stars of "Now You See Me" chat learning magic tricks and experiencing the real deal.Watch Video »
- Workout ObsessedGwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite