Kate Winslet: Divorce Was 'Hard' for Sam Mendes and Me
- Photo: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images North America1 of 12
- Photo: Camera Press/Retna Ltd.2 of 12
- Photo: Andrew Medichini/Invision/AP3 of 12
- Photo: Wagner Az/PacificCoastNews.com4 of 12
- Photo: Clasos.com/Splash News5 of 12
- Photo: Jae Hong/Invision/AP6 of 12
- Photo: Mark Stewart/ Camera Press/Retna Ltd.7 of 12
- Photo: Mark Stewart/Camera Press/Retna Ltd.8 of 12
- Photo: Dave M. Benett/GettyImages.com9 of 12
- Photo: PPNY / GSNY/Splash News10 of 12
- Photo: Entertainment Press/Splash News11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Michael Sam Cut by St. Louis Rams, Delaying Quest to Be First Openly Gay Player in NFLMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 1:19:00 PM
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are working on their honeymoonMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 12:46:00 PM
- Made in America concert set to rock Los AngelesMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 11:58:04 AM
- Idris Elba Thriller 'No Good Deed' Launches Unique Social Media CampaignMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 10:48:00 AM
- LA's Made in America concert set to rock downtownMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 10:18:48 AM
- Michael Sam Cut by St. Louis Rams, Delaying Quest to Be First Openly Gay Player in NFL
Kate Winslet has garnered worldwide acclaim -- plus an Oscar and many nominations -- for capturing the anguish of romantic heartache on-screen.
It helps that the actress, who turns 36 Tuesday, knows from experience. In March 2010, she and "Revolutionary Road" director Sam Mendes ended their marriage of seven years.
"One thing I will say about me and Sam is that it's fine, it's really fine," the star tells Harper's Bazaar UK -- and she has no intention of slinging mud or worse at her second husband. "I'm not going to s***fling, there's no point in even going there. It is what it is."
Shooting her Emmy-winning role in the HBO miniseries "Mildred Pierce" amid the split came especially naturally, she admitted. "There's a scene where Mildred and Bert are divorced, and they sit down together, because they've got to settle on a cause," Winslet explained. "The first stage of my divorce with Sam came through on the very day that we were shooting. So that scene is nothing to do with acting."
One key to keeping the peace with Mendes: the couple's son, Jack, 7. "We're grown-ups at the end of the day, and however hard it's been for me, it’s been equally hard for him. And we have a child together who we both love and raising him together, jointly and without any conflict, is absolutely key," Winslet explains.
And Winslet has been through this before, too. She has a daughter, Mia, nearly 12, with her first husband, Jim Threapleton.
"[Co-parenting with an ex] is the only way to do it, and I've really learnt that with Mia," Winslet explains.
And as far as the future -- Winslet is now dating "Ned Rocknroll," the wild nephew of Richard Branson -- the star is ready for whatever comes.
"I feel that I'm just at the beginning of a new narrative, and it's incredibly exciting," she tells Harper's Bazaar. "It's complicated, I know, and uncertain, but it's where life happens, between the cracks. It can be a painful process, but I truly hope that never stops for me."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, and Selena Gomez all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jared Leto, Madonna and Jaime King all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVenice Film Fest
From Crowd Ignite