Kate Winslet escapes fire at Branson's island home
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin1 of 12
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage.com2 of 12
- Photo: Dave Allocca/Invision/AP3 of 12
- Photo: Wagner Az/PacificCoastNews.com4 of 12
- Photo: Richie Buxo/Splash News5 of 12
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.6 of 12
- Photo: Kirkland/Retna Digital7 of 12
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News8 of 12
- Photo: Russ Einhorn/Splash News9 of 12
- Photo: Eddie Mejia/Splash News10 of 12
- Photo: RD / Cortes/Retna Digital11 of 12
More Celeb News
- 'Game of Thrones,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'Silicon Valley&MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 5:04:00 PM
- Stacy Keibler and Husband Welcome a Baby GirlMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:27:00 PM
- Matthew McConaughey Courted for 'The Stand,' Nearing Deal for 'Gold&aMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:27:00 PM
- The Mindy Project Taps Niecy Nash as Mindy's RivalMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:22:00 PM
- Steve Martin in Negotiations to Star in Disney's 'Magic Camp'MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:01:00 PM
- 'Game of Thrones,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'Silicon Valley&
London -- Guests, including Academy Award-winning actress Kate Winslet, escaped uninjured when fire destroyed Richard Branson's Caribbean home in the middle of the night, the British businessman said Monday.
RELATED: Check out the hottest celeb moms
The Virgin Group boss said about 20 people, including Winslet and her children, were staying in the eight-bedroom Great House on Necker, his private isle in the British Virgin Islands.
Branson said he was staying in another property around 100 yards away with his wife, Joan and son Sam, 25.
He said the fire broke out around 4 a.m. during a wind and lightning storm, and Sam managed to help evacuate Winslet and other guests from the house.
Branson said the guests, including his 90-year-old mother and his daughter Holly, 29, all managed to get out safely.
"Kate Winslet, her boyfriend and her family were there and Holly and some of her friends were also staying," Branson said. "My mother was there and they managed to get her out and she is fine."
Winslet's spokeswoman, Sara Keene, confirmed the actress was unharmed.
Branson said the house was "completely destroyed," and the fire was not entirely out Monday.
RELATED: Pop culture's hottest doctors
"My office was based in the house and I have lost thousands of photographs which is very sad," Branson said.
He said he planned to rebuild the house "as soon as we can."
"We'll all stay here for the time being," he said. "There's a lot of damage and we won't be able to stick it back together again right away."
Virgin said the cause of the fire was still being investigated but lightning was the likely culprit.
Branson, 60, bought the island in the early 1980s and began building the Great House in 1982. He also has developed an exclusive eco-resort on the island showcasing renewable energy technology.
Winslet, 35, shot to international stardom with her appearance opposite Leonardo DiCaprio in James Cameron's "Titanic," and sealed her reputation with a Best Actress Academy Award in 2009 for "The Reader."
She has two children, 10-year-old Mia and Joe, 7, from marriages to directors Jim Threapleton and Sam Mendes.
RELATED: The most shocking celeb splits
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott put their cheating scandal behind them and vacation as a family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBare Beauties
From Crowd Ignite