Katie Holmes Breaks Silence on Tom Cruise Divorce: 'I'm All Right'
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage1 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage2 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage3 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage4 of 13
- Photo: AO1/WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage7 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage8 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage9 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage10 of 13
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP11 of 13
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Philip Seymour Hoffman's 'God's Pocket' Gets Release DateMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 11:49:00 PM
- Newsweek's Alleged Bitcoin Creator Denies Story, Flees In LA Car ChaseMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 10:39:00 PM
- 'All the Way' Theater Review: Bryan Cranston Brings His Wildly Funny LBJ to BroadwMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 8:00:00 PM
- Man lauded as Japan Beethoven sorry for fake workMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 7:56:36 PM
- Slate's 'Adele Dazeem' Travoltafier Becomes the Most Popular Article in WMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Philip Seymour Hoffman's 'God's Pocket' Gets Release Date
Katie Holmes is single in the city this summer -- and she's holding up just fine.
Less than one week after filing to divorce her husband of five years, Tom Cruise, Holmes, 33, is slowly made her way out of hiding, running errands with her daughter, Suri, 6, in New York, on Wednesday's July 4th holiday.
Shopping for groceries including ground beef, hamburger rolls and strawberries with Suri in tow, Holmes spoke out for the first time since her Thursday filing. "I'm all right," the actress told a New York Daily News reporter as she browsed the aisles in Whole Foods. "Thank you."
Since calling it quits with Cruise, 50, Holmes appears to be in much better spirits as she prepares to fight for sole custody of the couple's daughter. (Cruise also has two older children, Connor and Isabella, with ex-wife Nicole Kidman).
"She's been miserable for a long time, but the last couple of weeks, she's been happy -- like she's been set free," an insider tells Us Weekly of Holmes, who moved out of the New York home she shared with Cruise and into her own rented apartment weeks before her filing.
A second Holmes source confirms that the actress is keeping Suri's best interests in mind as she moves on to this new phase of her life without Cruise.
"Every move she made and everything she did was controlled. ... She felt like she was in 'Rosemary's Baby,'" the source tells the new issue of Us Weekly, referring to the classic 1968 horror film, in which an aspiring young actress [Mia Farrow] unwittingly bears a child for her husband's Satanic cult.
"This is about protecting her daughter," the source says.
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Katie Holmes Breaks Silence on Tom Cruise Divorce: "I'm Alright"
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
Check out the many ways that Britney Spears is looking better than ever.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite