Katie Holmes Breaks Silence on Tom Cruise Divorce: 'I'm All Right'
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage1 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage2 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage3 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage4 of 13
- Photo: AO1/WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage7 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage8 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage9 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage10 of 13
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP11 of 13
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Laura Benanti Is Headed to NashvilleMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Alex Kurtzman to Direct 'The Mummy' Reboot for UniversalMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 3:09:00 PM
- John Goodman in Talks to Join Bryan Cranston in Jay Roach's 'Trumbo' (ExcMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 2:51:00 PM
- The Best Life Lessons We Learned from Sex and the CityMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 2:39:00 PM
- Guess Why Chris Pratt Stole His 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Star-Lord Outfit?MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 2:32:00 PM
- Laura Benanti Is Headed to Nashville
Katie Holmes is single in the city this summer -- and she's holding up just fine.
Less than one week after filing to divorce her husband of five years, Tom Cruise, Holmes, 33, is slowly made her way out of hiding, running errands with her daughter, Suri, 6, in New York, on Wednesday's July 4th holiday.
Shopping for groceries including ground beef, hamburger rolls and strawberries with Suri in tow, Holmes spoke out for the first time since her Thursday filing. "I'm all right," the actress told a New York Daily News reporter as she browsed the aisles in Whole Foods. "Thank you."
Since calling it quits with Cruise, 50, Holmes appears to be in much better spirits as she prepares to fight for sole custody of the couple's daughter. (Cruise also has two older children, Connor and Isabella, with ex-wife Nicole Kidman).
"She's been miserable for a long time, but the last couple of weeks, she's been happy -- like she's been set free," an insider tells Us Weekly of Holmes, who moved out of the New York home she shared with Cruise and into her own rented apartment weeks before her filing.
A second Holmes source confirms that the actress is keeping Suri's best interests in mind as she moves on to this new phase of her life without Cruise.
"Every move she made and everything she did was controlled. ... She felt like she was in 'Rosemary's Baby,'" the source tells the new issue of Us Weekly, referring to the classic 1968 horror film, in which an aspiring young actress [Mia Farrow] unwittingly bears a child for her husband's Satanic cult.
"This is about protecting her daughter," the source says.
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Katie Holmes Breaks Silence on Tom Cruise Divorce: "I'm Alright"
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew Look
From Crowd Ignite