Katie Holmes Breaks Silence on Tom Cruise Divorce: 'I'm All Right'
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage1 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage2 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage3 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage4 of 13
- Photo: AO1/WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage7 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage8 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage9 of 13
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage10 of 13
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP11 of 13
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP12 of 13
More Celeb News
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From SonyMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:32:00 PM
- Booboo Stewart Drama 'Sonata' Plucks Director Brendan Foley (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Look Out, Camp Counselors: A Friday the 13th Series Is in the WorksMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:26:00 PM
- 'Godzilla' Draws Fire in New IMAX Poster (Photo)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:09:00 PM
- What Is Survivor's Jeremiah "Kicking Himself" Over?MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 3:29:00 PM
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From Sony
Katie Holmes is single in the city this summer -- and she's holding up just fine.
Less than one week after filing to divorce her husband of five years, Tom Cruise, Holmes, 33, is slowly made her way out of hiding, running errands with her daughter, Suri, 6, in New York, on Wednesday's July 4th holiday.
Shopping for groceries including ground beef, hamburger rolls and strawberries with Suri in tow, Holmes spoke out for the first time since her Thursday filing. "I'm all right," the actress told a New York Daily News reporter as she browsed the aisles in Whole Foods. "Thank you."
Since calling it quits with Cruise, 50, Holmes appears to be in much better spirits as she prepares to fight for sole custody of the couple's daughter. (Cruise also has two older children, Connor and Isabella, with ex-wife Nicole Kidman).
"She's been miserable for a long time, but the last couple of weeks, she's been happy -- like she's been set free," an insider tells Us Weekly of Holmes, who moved out of the New York home she shared with Cruise and into her own rented apartment weeks before her filing.
A second Holmes source confirms that the actress is keeping Suri's best interests in mind as she moves on to this new phase of her life without Cruise.
"Every move she made and everything she did was controlled. ... She felt like she was in 'Rosemary's Baby,'" the source tells the new issue of Us Weekly, referring to the classic 1968 horror film, in which an aspiring young actress [Mia Farrow] unwittingly bears a child for her husband's Satanic cult.
"This is about protecting her daughter," the source says.
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Katie Holmes Breaks Silence on Tom Cruise Divorce: "I'm Alright"
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Lena Dunham to Kristen Stewart, see the most awkward red carpet posers.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTRing Speculation
From Crowd Ignite