Keira Knightley reflects on growing up in spotlight, harsh scrutiny
- Photo: Elle1 of 12
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP2 of 12
- Photo: Splash News3 of 12
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Wonderwall4 of 12
- Photo: AP5 of 12
- Photo: David M. Benett/Getty Images North America6 of 12
- Photo: Weir Photos/Splash News7 of 12
- Photo: David Fisher/Rex USA8 of 12
- Photo: Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images North America9 of 12
- Photo: Richard Young/Rex USA10 of 12
- Photo: Spread/X1711 of 12
More Celeb News
- ABC's 'Nashville' Plans 2 Live Performances During Season 3 PremiereMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:40:00 PM
- 'Big Bang Theory' Contract Talks: 5 Past Negotiations to Set Your Mind at EaseMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:32:00 PM
- Christina Aguilera Dresses Up Like Demi Moore for Naked, Pregnant Magazine Cover (Photos)MSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:20:00 PM
- Selena Gomez Breaks Her Own Rotten Tomatoes Record With a Zero for 'Behaving Badly&aposMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 4:09:00 PM
- Grey's Anatomy's Ellen Pompeo Developing Drama for ABC FamilyMSNEntertainment 8/1/2014 3:11:00 PM
- ABC's 'Nashville' Plans 2 Live Performances During Season 3 Premiere
For Keira Knightley, growing up in the spotlight was not easy. The "Begin Again" actress, 29, opened up in a new interview with Elle UK, discussing the pressures of maturing in the public eye.
Knightley told the magazine that if she had a daughter, she would discourage her from going into the acting business.
"Oh, 100 percent, I'd absolutely tell her not to," she said. "I would 150 million trillion percent be totally discouraging of [her] doing anything like that."
"Teenage years should be done privately," she continued. "You should be going out and getting unbelievably drunk, getting into ridiculous situations, making mistakes. That's what that time of life is about and we should do that privately, one million trillion zillion percent."
Knightley, who appeared in 1999's "Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace" at the age of 14, went on to reflect on her own experience with scrutiny during her formative years. "I don't regret it – I wouldn't do my life any differently, but having lived through it… There was a very long time when [interviewers] were all, 'Well you're a s--t actress and you're anorexic and people hate you' which, for a teenager or somebody in their early 20s, is a very strange thing."
Despite the harsh words, Knightley has continued on and filled her resume with copious films. This year she counts credits for various projects, including "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" with Chris Pine and Kevin Costner, the upcoming "Begin Again" with Adam Levine, Mark Ruffalo, and Hailee Steinfeld, and the fall drama "Laggies," with Chloé Grace Moretz and Sam Rockwell. Her personal life has been active as well, as she was married last May to British musician James Righton.
The busy actress stuns on the Elle cover, accompanied by the lines, "The Secret Life of Keira Knightley." With her shoulder-length brunette locks wavy and down, Knightley wears a pale pink collared dress with buttons from Gucci's Fall 2014 collection in the shot. Inside the issue, she models pieces by Saint Laurent, Miu Miu, and Dolce & Gabbana.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Bloom vs. Bieber
Get the scoop on Orlando Bloom and Justin Bieber's on-going feud on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen swims with horses on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Heidi Klum, Jada Pinkett Smith, and Miranda Kerr all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
See how Angelina Jolie's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSmooch Central
From Crowd Ignite