Kelly Preston: Nobody Should Have to Lose a Child
- Photo: Peter Kramer/AP1 of 9
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP2 of 9
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com3 of 9
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin4 of 9
- Photo: Tonya Wise/London Ent/Splash News5 of 9
- Photo: © All Access Photo Agency / Retna Ltd./Retna Ltd.6 of 9
- Photo: Matt Stroshane, Universal Orlando Resort/.7 of 9
- Photo: Matt Stroshane/Splash News8 of 9
More Celeb News
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Driving Record Memorial Day Weekend at Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 5/25/2013 7:34:58 AM
- Good Morning, Cannes: From Bloody Fun to Bloody SchlockMSNEntertainment 5/25/2013 6:55:12 AM
- PowerGrid's Biggest Movers of the Week: Chris Pine, Noah Baumbach's Projects BoostMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 6:42:06 PM
- Aviva Drescher Signs on to 'Real Housewives of New York' (Again)MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 6:41:10 PM
- Ryan Seacrest, Simon Cowell React to Mentor Mike Darnell's Fox Exit MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 5:34:30 PM
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Driving Record Memorial Day Weekend at Box Office
To say Kelly Preston has had a tough few years is an understatement.
The actress, 49, and her husband, John Travolta, 58, lost their son Jett in January 2009 while vacationing in the Bahamas. The 16-year-old's death was attributed to a seizure. During an interview on Lifetime's "The Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet" on Thursday, Preston opened up about the tragedy that forever changed their family.
"I've had enormous loss. Nobody should have to lose a child. It's unfathomable," Preston said. "But I'm here to say that you can get through it. You can live again. You can want to live again."
Preston credited her family, friends and faith for giving her the courage to move forward.
"People were so beautiful -- so, so extraordinary from all over the world," she said. "Everybody grieves in their own way. I felt at times like I was drowning. It felt like a sea of wet blankets. And then I just peeled them off, layer by layer, so that I can now say, 'I want to live. I love life. My life is beautiful and amazing."
Preston continued, "In Scientology, we have what's called 'auditing,' and that helps you to address things in your life and to strip them away and work through them. It's a path of spiritual enlightenment. Also, it helps rid the mind of painful experience completely. Through that, the people at my church literally held my hand and got me through. ... I will forever be indebted. You never forget, but I feel like the weight of the world was lifted. There are still things that come up, for sure, but I am able to live. And to want to live, I can laugh. I'm -- for the most part -- happy. That's the greatest gift ever."
On Nov. 23, 2010, Preston and Travolta -- married since 1991 -- welcomed their third child, son Benjamin Hunter Kaleo. (Daughter Ella Bleu was born April 3, 2000.)
"Having another child after this experience -- we had to think about it, especially this late in life," Preston said. "I always wanted to have more kids. I feel like I would even have another child, but it might be pushing it."
"I'm not afraid to love and to love deeply. My kids help me with that. They open up your heart so much," Preston said. "There's nothing like the love of a child . . . it's the greatest thing ever."
"The Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet" airs Thursdays at 11 p.m. EST on Lifetime.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Who Am I?
Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Khloe Kardashian showed off her svelte figure, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Kourtney Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens and Tara Reid all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Katy Perry incites a Twitter feud with a 17-year-old rapper. Get the dirty details on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite