Kelly Preston: Nobody Should Have to Lose a Child
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP1 of 9
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP2 of 9
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com3 of 9
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin4 of 9
- Photo: Tonya Wise/London Ent/Splash News5 of 9
- Photo: © All Access Photo Agency / Retna Ltd./Retna Ltd.6 of 9
- Photo: Matt Stroshane, Universal Orlando Resort/.7 of 9
- Photo: Matt Stroshane/Splash News8 of 9
More Celeb News
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'SupernatMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:38:41 PM
- Paul Walker Death: 'Fast & Furious' Franchise Posts Tribute on YouTube (ViMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:35:39 PM
- If PG-13 Is the Moneymaker, Why Is Hollywood Cranking Out So Many R-Rated Movies?MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:28:09 PM
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu to direct 'Jungle Book' movie for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:26:12 PM
- Best & Worst 2013: Movie Moments of the Year '12 Years a Slave,' &apoMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:19:43 PM
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'Supernat
To say Kelly Preston has had a tough few years is an understatement.
The actress, 49, and her husband, John Travolta, 58, lost their son Jett in January 2009 while vacationing in the Bahamas. The 16-year-old's death was attributed to a seizure. During an interview on Lifetime's "The Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet" on Thursday, Preston opened up about the tragedy that forever changed their family.
"I've had enormous loss. Nobody should have to lose a child. It's unfathomable," Preston said. "But I'm here to say that you can get through it. You can live again. You can want to live again."
Preston credited her family, friends and faith for giving her the courage to move forward.
"People were so beautiful -- so, so extraordinary from all over the world," she said. "Everybody grieves in their own way. I felt at times like I was drowning. It felt like a sea of wet blankets. And then I just peeled them off, layer by layer, so that I can now say, 'I want to live. I love life. My life is beautiful and amazing."
Preston continued, "In Scientology, we have what's called 'auditing,' and that helps you to address things in your life and to strip them away and work through them. It's a path of spiritual enlightenment. Also, it helps rid the mind of painful experience completely. Through that, the people at my church literally held my hand and got me through. ... I will forever be indebted. You never forget, but I feel like the weight of the world was lifted. There are still things that come up, for sure, but I am able to live. And to want to live, I can laugh. I'm -- for the most part -- happy. That's the greatest gift ever."
On Nov. 23, 2010, Preston and Travolta -- married since 1991 -- welcomed their third child, son Benjamin Hunter Kaleo. (Daughter Ella Bleu was born April 3, 2000.)
"Having another child after this experience -- we had to think about it, especially this late in life," Preston said. "I always wanted to have more kids. I feel like I would even have another child, but it might be pushing it."
"I'm not afraid to love and to love deeply. My kids help me with that. They open up your heart so much," Preston said. "There's nothing like the love of a child . . . it's the greatest thing ever."
"The Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet" airs Thursdays at 11 p.m. EST on Lifetime.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Check out which of Hollywood's geeky guys get all the hottest ladies.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Miranda and Orlando to the Jenners, see some of Hollywood's most amicable exes on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See which celebs had the best and worst beach bodies of 2012.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBen vs. Casey
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite