Kelly Preston: Nobody Should Have to Lose a Child
- Photo: Peter Kramer/AP1 of 9
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP2 of 9
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com3 of 9
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin4 of 9
- Photo: Tonya Wise/London Ent/Splash News5 of 9
- Photo: © All Access Photo Agency / Retna Ltd./Retna Ltd.6 of 9
- Photo: Matt Stroshane, Universal Orlando Resort/.7 of 9
- Photo: Matt Stroshane/Splash News8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Thompson, Fantagraphics co-publisher, dies at 56MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 4:30:39 PM
- 'Hemlock Grove' Renewed for Season 2MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 4:19:55 PM
- Kelsey Grammer, Martin Lawrence Land Lawyer Comedy at FX MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:51:37 PM
- Music Journalist Chet Flippo Dead at 69MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:26:04 PM
- Owen Wilson and Woody Harrelson Go Back In Time in 'Free Bird's Trailer (Video)MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:01:15 PM
- Thompson, Fantagraphics co-publisher, dies at 56
To say Kelly Preston has had a tough few years is an understatement.
The actress, 49, and her husband, John Travolta, 58, lost their son Jett in January 2009 while vacationing in the Bahamas. The 16-year-old's death was attributed to a seizure. During an interview on Lifetime's "The Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet" on Thursday, Preston opened up about the tragedy that forever changed their family.
"I've had enormous loss. Nobody should have to lose a child. It's unfathomable," Preston said. "But I'm here to say that you can get through it. You can live again. You can want to live again."
Preston credited her family, friends and faith for giving her the courage to move forward.
"People were so beautiful -- so, so extraordinary from all over the world," she said. "Everybody grieves in their own way. I felt at times like I was drowning. It felt like a sea of wet blankets. And then I just peeled them off, layer by layer, so that I can now say, 'I want to live. I love life. My life is beautiful and amazing."
Preston continued, "In Scientology, we have what's called 'auditing,' and that helps you to address things in your life and to strip them away and work through them. It's a path of spiritual enlightenment. Also, it helps rid the mind of painful experience completely. Through that, the people at my church literally held my hand and got me through. ... I will forever be indebted. You never forget, but I feel like the weight of the world was lifted. There are still things that come up, for sure, but I am able to live. And to want to live, I can laugh. I'm -- for the most part -- happy. That's the greatest gift ever."
On Nov. 23, 2010, Preston and Travolta -- married since 1991 -- welcomed their third child, son Benjamin Hunter Kaleo. (Daughter Ella Bleu was born April 3, 2000.)
"Having another child after this experience -- we had to think about it, especially this late in life," Preston said. "I always wanted to have more kids. I feel like I would even have another child, but it might be pushing it."
"I'm not afraid to love and to love deeply. My kids help me with that. They open up your heart so much," Preston said. "There's nothing like the love of a child . . . it's the greatest thing ever."
"The Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet" airs Thursdays at 11 p.m. EST on Lifetime.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
- Michelle Williams and Jason Segel are moving on!
- Wedding bells and baby rattles for Jennifer Love H
- Gisele Bundchen's bikini bod after baby
- Kim Kardashian's Last Trip to Paris Before Baby
- Prince Harry's scandal-free trip to the US
- Miley and Liam: Engagement Intervention?
- The Kardashians Luxurious Greek Getaway
- Will Sharon and Ozzy’s marriage survive his addiction issues?
- Why does Bradley Cooper live with his mom?
- Jessica Alba and Nicole Richie's Hot Caribbean Vacation
- Heidi Klum's Dramatic Beach Rescue
- Is Hayden Panettiere Secretly Engaged?
- Is Lindsay Lohan Ready to Clean Up Her Life?
- Are Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Over?
- Is Duchess Kate Expecting a Daughter?
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Ashley Greene reveals a painful wound from a wild Bali vacation on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
From David Beckham to Ben Affleck, check out Hollywood's hottest dads.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite