Kelly Preston: Scientology Helped Me Overcome Son Jett's Death
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com1 of 13
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin2 of 13
- Photo: Ahmad Elatab / Splash News/Splash News3 of 13
- Photo: Ron Galella, Ltd./WireImage4 of 13
- Photo: WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Alexandra Wyman/WireImage.com6 of 13
- Photo: WENN7 of 13
- Photo: Tonya Wise/London Ent/Splash News8 of 13
- Photo: People via CeleBitchy/Promotional9 of 13
- Photo: Matt Stroshane/Splash News10 of 13
- Photo: Pacific Coast News11 of 13
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 5:00:00 PM
- Ray J Arraigned for Sexual Battery, Vandalism and Resisting ArrestMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:59:00 PM
- Mark Wahlberg in Talks to Star in J.C. Chandor's 'Deepwater Horizon'MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:49:00 PM
- 'The Gunfighter' Director Eric Kissack on How He Cast Nick Offerman: TheWrap&aMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Benedict Cumberbatch Joins WB's 'Jungle Book' as Voice of Shere KhanMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?
Two years ago, Kelly Preston was struggling to make sense of the sudden death of her 16-year-old son Jett, who lost his life due to a seizure in January 2009.
The actress, now 48, credits her religion for getting her through the toughest period of her life. "To be honest, [it was] the Scientology Center," Preston tells Health magazine's September issue. "I don't know if I would have made it through without it."
(Preston and her husband, John Travolta, have been Scientologists for more than two decades.)
The experience taught Preston a valuable lesson. "Don't sweat the small things. Love your kids like it could be the last moment."
After a painful two years, the family (including daughter Ella Bleu, 11) finally received some happy news when baby Benjamin Hunter Kaleo was born in November 2010.
"We [had been trying] for quite a few years," Preston tells Health. "When I found out I was pregnant, I was floored. I'd snuck out of bed and then came back and woke Johnny up in bed. We both started crying. It was wonderful."
Motherhood, Preston says, is the single most important role she's ever tackled. "I've always wanted to be a mother, ever since I was 11. I was doing commercials for thousands of dollars, but I'd still babysit for $3 an hour just because I loved it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite