Kelly Preston: Scientology Helped Me Overcome Son Jett's Death
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com1 of 13
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin2 of 13
- Photo: Ahmad Elatab / Splash News/Splash News3 of 13
- Photo: Ron Galella, Ltd./WireImage4 of 13
- Photo: WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Alexandra Wyman/WireImage.com6 of 13
- Photo: WENN7 of 13
- Photo: Tonya Wise/London Ent/Splash News8 of 13
- Photo: People via CeleBitchy/Promotional9 of 13
- Photo: Matt Stroshane/Splash News10 of 13
- Photo: Pacific Coast News11 of 13
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage.com12 of 13
More Celeb News
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Does Mel Gibson Deserve Another Chance?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Resumes Production This MonthMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:02:00 PM
- Obama pitches his health care plan on Funny or DieMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:01:01 PM
- ABC's Ratings the Most Glaring Challenge for Anne Sweeney's SuccessorMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 3:58:00 PM
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?
Two years ago, Kelly Preston was struggling to make sense of the sudden death of her 16-year-old son Jett, who lost his life due to a seizure in January 2009.
The actress, now 48, credits her religion for getting her through the toughest period of her life. "To be honest, [it was] the Scientology Center," Preston tells Health magazine's September issue. "I don't know if I would have made it through without it."
(Preston and her husband, John Travolta, have been Scientologists for more than two decades.)
The experience taught Preston a valuable lesson. "Don't sweat the small things. Love your kids like it could be the last moment."
After a painful two years, the family (including daughter Ella Bleu, 11) finally received some happy news when baby Benjamin Hunter Kaleo was born in November 2010.
"We [had been trying] for quite a few years," Preston tells Health. "When I found out I was pregnant, I was floored. I'd snuck out of bed and then came back and woke Johnny up in bed. We both started crying. It was wonderful."
Motherhood, Preston says, is the single most important role she's ever tackled. "I've always wanted to be a mother, ever since I was 11. I was doing commercials for thousands of dollars, but I'd still babysit for $3 an hour just because I loved it."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Nicole Richie, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite