Kristen Bell proposes to Dax Shepard after DOMA overturned
- Photo: Frank Micelotta/Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: Christopher Polk/GettyImages.com2 of 13
- Photo: @daxshepard1/Twitter3 of 13
- Photo: Fame Flynet4 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 13
- Photo: @IMKristenBell/Twitter6 of 13
- Photo: Danny Moloshok/Reuters7 of 13
- Photo: Reuters8 of 13
- Photo: Rex USA9 of 13
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN10 of 13
- Photo: Judy Eddy/WENN11 of 13
- Photo: JC1/WENN12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs to Become Filmmaker-in-Residence at Chapman UniversityMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 11:27:00 AM
- Pretty Little Liars Finale Postmortem: A's Latest Victim Speaks Out!MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 11:09:00 AM
- Jeremy Irvine, Minka Kelly Thriller 'The World Made Straight' Acquired by MillenniMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 11:06:00 AM
- Drafthouse Films, Participant Media Acquire US Rights to 'The Look of Silence'MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 10:53:00 AM
- David Frankel to Direct Sci-Fi Drama 'Departure'MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 10:53:00 AM
- Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs to Become Filmmaker-in-Residence at Chapman University
The U.S. Supreme Court's historic overturning of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) no doubt has many, many American couples making marriage plans -- including, perhaps, Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard! The "Veronica Mars" actress, 32, quickly celebrated the SCOTUS ruling via Twitter. "You're damn right DOMA is unconstitutional!! #equalitymatters," she wrote, retweeting a followers' memorable hashtag, "#defenseofmarriagecansuckit."
She then addressed Shepard, her fiance of four years and father of her newborn daughter, Lincoln, 3 months: "@daxshepard1 will you marry me? Xo #marriageequality #loveislove." Shepard responded in kind. "DOMA is dead," he wrote. "Prop 8 is dead. Now let's bring my big, gay marriage to @IMKristenBell to Life!!!!"
The re-proposal should come as no big surprise to fans of the sloth-loving actress. Speaking about Proposition 8 back in August 2012, she told Larry King she and Shepard, 38, were holding out to wed until marriage was legalized for all. "The reason we're not rushing to get married is because I don't feel appropriate taking advantage of a right that's denied to my [gay and lesbian] friends," she said.
"I'll feel more comfortable having a party -- or whatever we have, if anything -- if half of our friends who are homosexuals [can celebrate]. ... It's just kind of rude to invite everyone to a party for a rite not everyone can hold." (Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have also taken a similar stance regarding same-sex marriage and their own wedding plans.)
If Bell and Shepard really do finally walk down the aisle, they'll have a mini flower girl to attend the ceremony in little Lincoln, born in March.
"It's actually better than I expected," Bell told Ellen DeGeneres of motherhood. "It's pretty wonderful." Bell boasted that "Parenthood" star Shepard is "the best" dad. "It's like he's just made a new best friend," she explains. "He just talks to her all the time. And sings to her all day. It's wonderful."
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Golden Globe Style
Cojo predicts the trends for the 2010 Golden Globes.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTAnother Go
From Crowd Ignite