Kristen Bell proposes to Dax Shepard after DOMA overturned
- Photo: Frank Micelotta/Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: Christopher Polk/GettyImages.com2 of 13
- Photo: @daxshepard1/Twitter3 of 13
- Photo: Fame Flynet4 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 13
- Photo: @IMKristenBell/Twitter6 of 13
- Photo: Danny Moloshok/Reuters7 of 13
- Photo: Reuters8 of 13
- Photo: Rex USA9 of 13
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN10 of 13
- Photo: Judy Eddy/WENN11 of 13
- Photo: JC1/WENN12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Shaquille O'Neal, Rapper Waka Flocka Flame Sued for Making Fun of Disabled Man on Social MeMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 12:17:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Premiere More Than Doubles Original's RatinMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:59:00 AM
- Peter Capaldi's 'Doctor Who' Season Debut Gets Theatrical RunMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:54:00 AM
- Exclusive: Mad Men's Rich Sommer Returning to ElementaryMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:54:00 AM
- VIDEO: Kathy Bates on Her Personal Ties to American Horror Story: Freak ShowMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:51:00 AM
- Shaquille O'Neal, Rapper Waka Flocka Flame Sued for Making Fun of Disabled Man on Social Me
The U.S. Supreme Court's historic overturning of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) no doubt has many, many American couples making marriage plans -- including, perhaps, Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard! The "Veronica Mars" actress, 32, quickly celebrated the SCOTUS ruling via Twitter. "You're damn right DOMA is unconstitutional!! #equalitymatters," she wrote, retweeting a followers' memorable hashtag, "#defenseofmarriagecansuckit."
She then addressed Shepard, her fiance of four years and father of her newborn daughter, Lincoln, 3 months: "@daxshepard1 will you marry me? Xo #marriageequality #loveislove." Shepard responded in kind. "DOMA is dead," he wrote. "Prop 8 is dead. Now let's bring my big, gay marriage to @IMKristenBell to Life!!!!"
The re-proposal should come as no big surprise to fans of the sloth-loving actress. Speaking about Proposition 8 back in August 2012, she told Larry King she and Shepard, 38, were holding out to wed until marriage was legalized for all. "The reason we're not rushing to get married is because I don't feel appropriate taking advantage of a right that's denied to my [gay and lesbian] friends," she said.
"I'll feel more comfortable having a party -- or whatever we have, if anything -- if half of our friends who are homosexuals [can celebrate]. ... It's just kind of rude to invite everyone to a party for a rite not everyone can hold." (Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have also taken a similar stance regarding same-sex marriage and their own wedding plans.)
If Bell and Shepard really do finally walk down the aisle, they'll have a mini flower girl to attend the ceremony in little Lincoln, born in March.
"It's actually better than I expected," Bell told Ellen DeGeneres of motherhood. "It's pretty wonderful." Bell boasted that "Parenthood" star Shepard is "the best" dad. "It's like he's just made a new best friend," she explains. "He just talks to her all the time. And sings to her all day. It's wonderful."
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew Look
From Crowd Ignite