Kristen Bell proposes to Dax Shepard after DOMA overturned
- Photo: Frank Micelotta/Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: Christopher Polk/GettyImages.com2 of 13
- Photo: @daxshepard1/Twitter3 of 13
- Photo: Fame Flynet4 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 13
- Photo: @IMKristenBell/Twitter6 of 13
- Photo: Danny Moloshok/Reuters7 of 13
- Photo: Reuters8 of 13
- Photo: Rex USA9 of 13
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN10 of 13
- Photo: Judy Eddy/WENN11 of 13
- Photo: JC1/WENN12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Teen Wolf Renewed for a Fifth Season MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:58:00 PM
- ESPN's SEC Network Scores Carriage Deal With Time Warner Cable, Bright HouseMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:48:00 PM
- Museums plan Piero di Cosimo exhibit in US, ItalyMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:37:49 PM
- Christopher Nolan, Matthew McConaughey Offer Early Look at 'Interstellar'MSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Dwayne Johnson holds surprise 'Hercules' screeningMSNEntertainment 7/24/2014 4:16:28 PM
- Teen Wolf Renewed for a Fifth Season
The U.S. Supreme Court's historic overturning of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) no doubt has many, many American couples making marriage plans -- including, perhaps, Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard! The "Veronica Mars" actress, 32, quickly celebrated the SCOTUS ruling via Twitter. "You're damn right DOMA is unconstitutional!! #equalitymatters," she wrote, retweeting a followers' memorable hashtag, "#defenseofmarriagecansuckit."
She then addressed Shepard, her fiance of four years and father of her newborn daughter, Lincoln, 3 months: "@daxshepard1 will you marry me? Xo #marriageequality #loveislove." Shepard responded in kind. "DOMA is dead," he wrote. "Prop 8 is dead. Now let's bring my big, gay marriage to @IMKristenBell to Life!!!!"
The re-proposal should come as no big surprise to fans of the sloth-loving actress. Speaking about Proposition 8 back in August 2012, she told Larry King she and Shepard, 38, were holding out to wed until marriage was legalized for all. "The reason we're not rushing to get married is because I don't feel appropriate taking advantage of a right that's denied to my [gay and lesbian] friends," she said.
"I'll feel more comfortable having a party -- or whatever we have, if anything -- if half of our friends who are homosexuals [can celebrate]. ... It's just kind of rude to invite everyone to a party for a rite not everyone can hold." (Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have also taken a similar stance regarding same-sex marriage and their own wedding plans.)
If Bell and Shepard really do finally walk down the aisle, they'll have a mini flower girl to attend the ceremony in little Lincoln, born in March.
"It's actually better than I expected," Bell told Ellen DeGeneres of motherhood. "It's pretty wonderful." Bell boasted that "Parenthood" star Shepard is "the best" dad. "It's like he's just made a new best friend," she explains. "He just talks to her all the time. And sings to her all day. It's wonderful."
Kim Kardashian flaunts her bikini bod in two bizarre Instagram video clips on location in Thailand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Nick Cannon shows off a new cheetah print hairstyle on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSummer Stars
From Crowd Ignite