Kristen Stewart: Rape Comment Was an 'Enormous Mistake'Related: Hot Gossip, Kristen Stewart
- Photo: TitoMedia.com.au/Splash News1 of 7
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News2 of 7
- Photo: Kristen jets out of Sydney this week surrounded by security/Splash News3 of 7
- Photo: Han Myung-Gu/WireImage4 of 7
- Photo: Dziekan/Retna Digital5 of 7
- Photo: Fame Pictures6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Cannes: Sundance Selects Nabs Rights to Francois Ozon's 'Young & BeautifulMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 4:01:48 PM
- Brad Pitt Names Jeremy Kleiner Co-President of Plan B EntertainmentMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 3:15:58 PM
- E!'s 'The Wanted Life' Preview: Scooter Braun Stages an Intervention (VidMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 2:55:28 PM
- David Janollari Signs 3-Year Development Deal With NBCMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 2:42:27 PM
- Jennifer Aniston Stages Mini 'Friends' Reunion for 'Ellen'MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 1:59:12 PM
- Cannes: Sundance Selects Nabs Rights to Francois Ozon's 'Young & Beautiful
Here's a refreshing change of pace: A celebrity is taking full responsibility for screwing up. Kristen Stewart admits she made a "big mistake" in her interview with the July issue of Elle UK, during which she compared the intrusion of the paparazzi to a violent and horrific crime.
"It's so ... The photos are so ... I feel like I'm looking at someone being raped," the "Twilight" star told the mag. "A lot of the time I can't handle it. It's [bleeped]. I never expected that this would be my life."
The comments were met with immediate criticism, including a chastising from a rape victims' advocacy group. Now, Stewart is unequivocally apologizing for her tactless analogy.
"I really made an enormous mistake -- clearly and obviously," the spotlight-loathing actress tells People magazine. "And I'm really sorry about my choice of words."
RELATED: See more pics of Kristen
Kristen, 20, who is currently continent-hopping to promote the forthcoming release of "Eclipse" (sans leading man and rumored squeeze Robert Pattinson, but with her middle fingers pointed at the shutterbugs), is more than aware that her foot tends to live in her mouth.
"I've made stupid remarks before," she says, "and I've always reasoned, 'Whatever. They can think what they want.'"
This time it's different.
"'Violated' definitely would have been a better way of expressing the thought," she reasons, before acknowledging just how upset she is over the blunder. "People thinking that I'm insensitive about this subject rips my guts out. I made a big mistake."
Stewart's distress and attempts at damage control are understandable: She played a rape victim in the 2004 drama "Speak" and fronted a public service announcement last year to highlight Sexual Assault Awareness month.
Coincidentally, she touched on her familiarity with the taste shoe leather in her sit-down with Elle, explaining how her discomfort with being in the public eye often leads her to say the wrong thing.
RELATED: Kristen: 'People say I'm miserable'
"Your little persona is made up of all the places that people have seen you and what has been said about you, and usually the places that I am are so overwhelming in the moment and fleeting for me -- like one second where I've said something stupid, that's me, forever," Stewart acknowledged. "What you don't see are the cameras shoved in my face and the bizarre intrusive questions being asked, or the people falling over themselves, screaming and taunting to get a reaction. All you see is an actor or a celebrity lit up by a flash."
So, what do you think? Do you find Kristen's apology sincere? Tell us in the comments.
Read more Hot Gossip
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite