Elizabeth Taylor's first wedding dress sells for $188K
- Photo: Frank Augstein/Invision/AP1 of 19
- Photo: Frank Augstein/Invision/AP2 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP3 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 19
- Photo: Frank Edwards/Getty Images North America5 of 19
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA6 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP7 of 19
- Photo: PF1/WENN8 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP9 of 19
- Photo: Express/Hulton Archive/GettyImages.com10 of 19
- Photo: Julie Markes/Invision/AP11 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP12 of 19
- Photo: WireImage.com13 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP14 of 19
- Photo: PF1/http://www.wenn.com/15 of 19
- Photo: PF1/Promotional16 of 19
- Photo: RICHARD DREW/Invision/AP17 of 19
- Photo: PF1/http://www.wenn.com/18 of 19
More Celeb News
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Does Mel Gibson Deserve Another Chance?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Resumes Production This MonthMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:02:00 PM
- Obama pitches his health care plan on Funny or DieMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:01:01 PM
- ABC's Ratings the Most Glaring Challenge for Anne Sweeney's SuccessorMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 3:58:00 PM
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?
LONDON (AP) -- The gown that an 18-year-old Elizabeth Taylor wore for her first wedding to hotel heir Conrad "Nicky" Hilton Jr. has fetched 121,875 pounds ($187,931) at a London auction.
RELATED: Fashion don'ts
Christie's director Nicolette Tomkinson said Wednesday's sale price, more than double the highest estimate, reflected the gown's significance in the history of film and fashion.
Taylor wore the cream-colored, seed pearl-encrusted satin dress -- complete with waist-cinching built-in corset -- in May 1950, the first of her eight weddings. Hundreds of guests, including Gene Kelly, Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, turned up, and studio MGM boasted that "more stars than there are in heaven" attended.
RELATED: In Memoriam: Elizabeth Taylor
Taylor and Hilton divorced months later, and the actress went on to wed seven more times. She died in 2011 at the age of 79.
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Check out the biggest fashion mistakes celebs made in 2012.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite