Elizabeth Taylor's first wedding dress sells for $188K
- Photo: Frank Augstein/Invision/AP1 of 19
- Photo: Frank Augstein/Invision/AP2 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP3 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 19
- Photo: Frank Edwards/Getty Images North America5 of 19
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA6 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP7 of 19
- Photo: PF1/WENN8 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP9 of 19
- Photo: Express/Hulton Archive/GettyImages.com10 of 19
- Photo: Julie Markes/Invision/AP11 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP12 of 19
- Photo: WireImage.com13 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP14 of 19
- Photo: PF1/http://www.wenn.com/15 of 19
- Photo: PF1/Promotional16 of 19
- Photo: RICHARD DREW/Invision/AP17 of 19
- Photo: PF1/http://www.wenn.com/18 of 19
More Celeb News
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and DevelopmentMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Bryan Singer Accuser Michael Egan Drops Sex Abuse LawsuitMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Pivot Network Now Available on College Streaming Service PhiloMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:31:00 PM
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Summer Finale Attracts 2.3 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:14:00 PM
- Chiller 'As Above, So Below' Tries to Put Scare Into 'Guardians'MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 2:53:00 PM
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and Development
LONDON (AP) -- The gown that an 18-year-old Elizabeth Taylor wore for her first wedding to hotel heir Conrad "Nicky" Hilton Jr. has fetched 121,875 pounds ($187,931) at a London auction.
RELATED: Fashion don'ts
Christie's director Nicolette Tomkinson said Wednesday's sale price, more than double the highest estimate, reflected the gown's significance in the history of film and fashion.
Taylor wore the cream-colored, seed pearl-encrusted satin dress -- complete with waist-cinching built-in corset -- in May 1950, the first of her eight weddings. Hundreds of guests, including Gene Kelly, Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, turned up, and studio MGM boasted that "more stars than there are in heaven" attended.
RELATED: In Memoriam: Elizabeth Taylor
Taylor and Hilton divorced months later, and the actress went on to wed seven more times. She died in 2011 at the age of 79.
Get out the vote
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Golden Globe Style
Cojo predicts the trends for the 2010 Golden Globes.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXT'The Bachelor'
From Crowd Ignite