Elizabeth Taylor's first wedding dress sells for $188K
- Photo: Frank Augstein/Invision/AP1 of 19
- Photo: Frank Augstein/Invision/AP2 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP3 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 19
- Photo: Frank Edwards/Getty Images North America5 of 19
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA6 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP7 of 19
- Photo: PF1/WENN8 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP9 of 19
- Photo: Express/Hulton Archive/GettyImages.com10 of 19
- Photo: Julie Markes/Invision/AP11 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP12 of 19
- Photo: WireImage.com13 of 19
- Photo: Invision/AP14 of 19
- Photo: PF1/http://www.wenn.com/15 of 19
- Photo: PF1/Promotional16 of 19
- Photo: RICHARD DREW/Invision/AP17 of 19
- Photo: PF1/http://www.wenn.com/18 of 19
More Celeb News
- Book of Oprah Winfrey columns to be published in fallMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 7:06:17 AM
- Hogan's Heroes Star Cynthia Lynn Dies at 76MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 6:39:00 AM
- Review: 'Need for Speed' a thrilling stunt festMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 6:27:14 AM
- Leno, Murdoch among TV Hall of Fame inducteesMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 1:17:18 AM
- $600K taken from safe at Osteen's megachurchMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 1:01:13 AM
- Book of Oprah Winfrey columns to be published in fall
LONDON (AP) -- The gown that an 18-year-old Elizabeth Taylor wore for her first wedding to hotel heir Conrad "Nicky" Hilton Jr. has fetched 121,875 pounds ($187,931) at a London auction.
RELATED: Fashion don'ts
Christie's director Nicolette Tomkinson said Wednesday's sale price, more than double the highest estimate, reflected the gown's significance in the history of film and fashion.
Taylor wore the cream-colored, seed pearl-encrusted satin dress -- complete with waist-cinching built-in corset -- in May 1950, the first of her eight weddings. Hundreds of guests, including Gene Kelly, Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, turned up, and studio MGM boasted that "more stars than there are in heaven" attended.
RELATED: In Memoriam: Elizabeth Taylor
Taylor and Hilton divorced months later, and the actress went on to wed seven more times. She died in 2011 at the age of 79.
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
From Channing Tatum to Jennifer Lawrence, see which celebs got their start modeling.Watch Video »
From the Atkins Diet to aerial fitness classes, see what stars like Kim Kardashian, Jessica Alba and Beyonce do to keep in shape.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite