Martin Sheen on fathering: Faith, love, no regrets
- Photo: Darren Calabrese/AP1 of 9
- Photo: Paula Sakuma/AP2 of 9
- Photo: AS3/WENN3 of 9
- Photo: 20th Century Fox / Bauer-Griffin/Promotional4 of 9
- Photo: Splash News5 of 9
- Photo: WENN6 of 9
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage7 of 9
- Photo: RHONDA BIRNDORF/AP8 of 9
More Celeb News
- 'Twilight,' 'Iron Man 3' Lead First Wave of Teen Choice Awards NMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 10:25:15 AM
- Cannes: Top French Filmmaker Olivier Assayas to Make First U.S. FilmMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 10:01:06 AM
- USA Orders Comedy Pilot From 'Fairly Legal' EP Peter OckoMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 9:47:08 AM
- A Peek Into the Soul of the Great Cinematographer Gordon Willis (Videos)MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 9:36:06 AM
- Ratings: NBC Tops With Slipping 'Voice' as ABC Wins in Total Viewers With &apoMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 9:21:00 AM
- 'Twilight,' 'Iron Man 3' Lead First Wave of Teen Choice Awards N
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Go ahead, ask the perfect father of the perfect child for parenting tips. But since most of us fall short of flawless, how about considering Father's Day advice from a dad who's grappled with personal shortcomings, seen a son face his own struggles and still counts his blessings.
Presenting Martin Sheen, 71-year-old actor, liberal activist and father of Charlie Sheen, and Emilio, Ramon and Renee Estevez — all the product of a five-decade marriage to Janet Sheen.
The name that pops out is Charlie, 46, he of the headline-making "Two and a Half Men" meltdown and eruptions over his dad's tough-love attitudes on substance abuse. The waters are calmer with actor-director Emilio, 50, whose collaborations with Sheen include films and the new father-son memoir "Along the Way" (Free Press and Audio.com).
Renee, 45, an actress, has played opposite her dad in several projects, while Ramon, 48, is an actor and an executive with the family's Estevez Sheen production company.
Sheen admits to guilt about how his offspring were affected, in earlier years, by the alcoholism that bedeviled him and by his consuming career ambitions. If he had it to do over again, he wouldn't have had four children, he says, he would have had eight, rough patches or not.
"You're not going to get the ideal relationship," Sheen says. "Charlie could have become a priest, Emilio could have become a doctor. You don't get to choose that. And it's not really a reflection of you. They did have a hand in the bargain."
This Father's Day, as on others before it, Sheen will have a Mass said at his Catholic parish for his sons who are dads, Charlie and Emilio, and for Sheen's late father.
Without benefit of pulpit, but with the bent of a philosopher-poet, here's Sheen's take on the art of fathering:
— "Obviously, be aware that your actions will speak louder and last longer than your words. A child absorbs through osmosis what the parents are feeling and what they do, far more than what they say."
— "If you have an honest relationship with a child, that is the greatest gift. Lead an honest life and be free."
— "Give them time. Time is really all we have."
— With adult children, "you have to be there for them. You have to support them and make sure they know that they are still loved and cherished and you're still in their lives and you're there for them."
— Remember the Irish phrase, "We never get over our fathers, and we're not required to." Adds Sheen: "For good or will, we're stuck with these guys."
— "The most important thing is that regret is useless and faith is necessary and love is everything."
RELATED: Fantasy casting: 'West Side Story'
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Who Am I?
Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite