Matthew McConaughey on Lance Armstrong: Some people are never gonna forgive
- Photo: Hahn-Marechal-Nebinger/StarTraks1 of 18
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage2 of 18
- Photo: Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage3 of 18
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images North America4 of 18
- Photo: Danny Moloshok/Invision/AP5 of 18
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP6 of 18
- Photo: KBA/ZOJ/WENN7 of 18
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage8 of 18
- Photo: AW3/Arnold Wells/WENN9 of 18
- Photo: Glen Wilson/Warner Bros.10 of 18
- Photo: GSI/.11 of 18
- Photo: Loki/NPG12 of 18
- Photo: Justin/Erik/NPG13 of 18
- Photo: FAMEFLYNET/Fame Pictures14 of 18
- Photo: WENN15 of 18
- Photo: Enrique RC/Pacific Coast News16 of 18
- Photo: MIKE DISCIULLO/Bauer-Griffin17 of 18
More Celeb News
- Scandal Postmortem: Are Olivia and Fitz Over for Good?MSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 10:08:00 AM
- Ratings: Scandal Hits Finale High; Community, Parenthood Up MSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 9:34:00 AM
- I Don't Know What Bryan Singer Did, and Neither Do YouMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 8:56:00 AM
- Ratings: 'Scandal' Season Finale Up as ABC Wins NightMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 8:55:00 AM
- Hillary Rodham Clinton's New Memoir Title and Cover UnveiledMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 8:30:00 AM
- Scandal Postmortem: Are Olivia and Fitz Over for Good?
Matthew McConaughey has spoken out about his longtime friend and fitness partner Lance Armstrong's doping confession, revealing he was upset when he first heard the cycling champ had lied about using performance enhancing drugs.
Armstrong sat down for a candid chat with Oprah Winfrey last week, and admitted he had been lying for well over a decade about the banned substances he had taken to help him win cycling races.
The TV chat came months after officials at the United States Anti-Doping Agency stripped Armstrong of his seven Tour De France titles and banned him from the sport, and McConaughey admits he's among the athlete's friends and fans who are still coming to terms with his confession.
RELATED: McConaughey's life as a dad
Speaking to MTV News at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah, the actor says, "I have been following it, obviously, and my first reaction was I was p--sed off, I was mad. I then got kinda sad for him... I took it personally, which I think a lot of people have.
"(But) what was he supposed to do? Call me to the side and go, 'Hey man, I did it but don't tell anybody'. Then I would have really had a reason to be p--sed off at him, going, 'You want me to walk around holding this?'
"Where I am now is I've put myself outta the way, and I am happy for this guy who has now chosen to enter this chapter of his life a truly free man, without this weight he had on his shoulder... that he's carried for 14 years.
"He's gonna take a lot of daggers and a lot of spears, and in a deserving way..., and some people are never gonna forgive, but that's OK... It's gonna be miserable, but he's looking it in the eye and he'll handle it.
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Justin Bieber makes a surprise appearance at Coachella where Selena Gomez happens to be hanging out with the Jenner sisters on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Watch as Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Kirstie Alley talk about their tumble during their routine.Watch Video »
Watch as Carrie Underwood talks about married life on Ellen.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite