Mel Gibson: My heart goes out to Shia LaBeouf
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP1 of 12
- Photo: FMB/Clemens Niehaus/Future Image/WENN2 of 12
- Photo: WCP/Fame Flynet3 of 12
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage4 of 12
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP5 of 12
- Photo: Beverly News/Rex/REX USA/Rex USA6 of 12
- Photo: Warner Bros./Promotional7 of 12
- Photo: Getty Images/Getty Images North America8 of 12
- Photo: MUNAWAR HOSAIN/StarTraks9 of 12
- Photo: WP#CMQ/ZOJ/WENN10 of 12
- Photo: Invision/AP11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Nick Orders Comedy '100 Things to Do Before High School' From 'Big Time RMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 2:35:00 PM
- 'Guardians of Galaxy' Gets Record August Rollout, OK to Play ChinaMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 2:22:00 PM
- ESPN Suspends Stephen A. Smith Over Domestic Violence RemarksMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 1:59:00 PM
- FCC Takes Aim at Time Warner Cable in Dodgers DisputeMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 1:50:00 PM
- CW's Arrow Finds Its Wildcat in J.R. RamirezMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 1:40:00 PM
- Nick Orders Comedy '100 Things to Do Before High School' From 'Big Time R
Controversial actor Mel Gibson recently chatted with IndieWire about the Lifetime Achievement Award he received from the 2014 Karlovy Vary International Film Festival in the Czech Republic, when the talk quickly turned to Shia LaBeouf's recent disturbing behavior and his less than stellar image with the public.
Gibson of course had his own image crisis when he went on a now infamous anti-Semitic rant during a 2006 DUI arrest.
"When I see somebody like Shia LaBeouf with the bag on his head and stuff, my heart goes out to the poor guy. I think he's suffering in some way, or why would he do that?" he sympathized. "And it's easy to point the finger at him and say that he's this, that, or the other, and it's easy to judge. But I'm sure he's going through some kind of personal, very painful, cathartic thing that he has to exorcise and get out there. He'll probably play it out and come back ... He'll be all right."
LaBeouf, 28, also clearly has Gibson's approval.
"I actually like the kid," he said. "I think he's good."
LaBeouf landed such high-profile roles in the "Transformers" franchise and "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" before becoming arguably more infamous for his questionable behavior off-camera. On June 27, 2014, he was arrested and charged with criminal trespassing and disorderly conduct after reportedly being disruptive at a Broadway performance of "Cabaret" in New York.
Gibson also got candid about the nature of fame in the nearly 20-minute interview with IndieWire.
"You're a target. And you have to be really adept at tap dancing and dodging the bullets. And sometimes you get hit. Sometimes mortally," he said. "It's pretty bad."
RELATED ON WONDERWALL:
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite