Mel Gibson to pay ex-girlfriend $750K to settle custody case
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP1 of 27
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP2 of 27
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP3 of 27
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP4 of 27
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP5 of 27
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com6 of 27
- Photo: FS2/WENN7 of 27
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com8 of 27
- Photo: WENN9 of 27
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com10 of 27
- Photo: Fame Pictures11 of 27
- Photo: VPC/WENN12 of 27
- Photo: JG3/ZJE/WENN13 of 27
- Photo: Jeff Vespa / WireImage.com/WireImage.com14 of 27
- Photo: Jae C. Hong/Invision/AP15 of 27
- Photo: Warner Bros.16 of 27
- Photo: AIP/Promotional17 of 27
- Photo: Splash News/WENN18 of 27
- Photo: Arturo Rodriguez/Invision/AP19 of 27
- Photo: Peter Morrison/Invision/AP20 of 27
- Photo: NC1/WENN21 of 27
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com22 of 27
- Photo: Ken Regan/Summit Entertainment/Promotional23 of 27
- Photo: MWA/ZOJ/WENN24 of 27
- Photo: SGranitz/WireImage.com25 of 27
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com26 of 27
More Celeb News
- Palme d'Or contenders at Cannes Film FestivalMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 4:26:16 AM
- uFly fires flight instructor who appeared on CNNMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 4:21:18 AM
- Singer Chris Brown's bodyguard goes on trial in DCMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 4:07:25 AM
- Jones, Godard, Cronenberg in competition at CannesMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 3:23:14 AM
- Films by Tommy Lee Jones, Jean Luc Godard among 18 movies in running for top Cannes prizeMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 3:08:16 AM
- Palme d'Or contenders at Cannes Film Festival
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Mel Gibson will pay $750,000 to his ex-girlfriend and continue to provide housing and financial support for their young daughter to resolve a bitter, long-running legal fight, a judge said Wednesday.
The settlement is intended to end the bickering and accusations that have permeated the case handled in mostly secret proceedings for more than a year, Superior Court Judge Peter Lichtman said.
Gibson's payments to Russian musician Oksana Grigorieva are dependent on a lasting truce.
As part of the agreement, their daughter will receive support equal to what the actor-director provides his other seven children. The former couple will split custody of the girl, who turns 2 in late October.
RELATED: Casual Parenting Celebs
In addition, Gibson will keep paying for a multimillion-dollar house he purchased for Grigorieva and their daughter. The house will be sold when the girl turns 18 and she will receive the proceeds.
As a result of the settlement, Grigorieva cannot pursue a civil case against the Oscar winner, and both sides were ordered not to speak or write about their relationship.
Lichtman specifically said neither side could release any audio recordings, an apparent reference to a series of racist and sexist rants by Gibson that were leaked to the celebrity website RadarOnline.com.
RELATED: Celeb Roommates
Grigorieva's payments were divided into thirds, with the final payment occurring in 2016 if the agreement is not breached.
Gibson spoke a handful of times during the hearing, mainly to acknowledge he understood terms of the settlement.
"I'd like to say thanks your honor for bringing this matter to a reasonable conclusion," the "Braveheart" star said.
Grigorieva also thanked the judge and said she hoped the resolution meant Gibson's career could resume.
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the former cast of "The Girls Next Door" is today.Watch Video »
Justin Bieber makes a surprise appearance at Coachella where Selena Gomez happens to be hanging out with the Jenner sisters on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Cindy Crawford and Vanessa Hudgens show their siblings some love on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite