Mel Gibson to pay ex-girlfriend $750K to settle custody case
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP1 of 27
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP2 of 27
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP3 of 27
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP4 of 27
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP5 of 27
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com6 of 27
- Photo: FS2/WENN7 of 27
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com8 of 27
- Photo: WENN9 of 27
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com10 of 27
- Photo: Fame Pictures11 of 27
- Photo: VPC/WENN12 of 27
- Photo: JG3/ZJE/WENN13 of 27
- Photo: Jeff Vespa / WireImage.com/WireImage.com14 of 27
- Photo: Jae C. Hong/Invision/AP15 of 27
- Photo: Warner Bros.16 of 27
- Photo: AIP/Promotional17 of 27
- Photo: Splash News/WENN18 of 27
- Photo: Arturo Rodriguez/Invision/AP19 of 27
- Photo: Peter Morrison/Invision/AP20 of 27
- Photo: NC1/WENN21 of 27
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com22 of 27
- Photo: Ken Regan/Summit Entertainment/Promotional23 of 27
- Photo: MWA/ZOJ/WENN24 of 27
- Photo: SGranitz/WireImage.com25 of 27
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage.com26 of 27
More Celeb News
- 'Game of Thrones,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'Silicon Valley&MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 5:04:00 PM
- Stacy Keibler and Husband Welcome a Baby GirlMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:27:00 PM
- Matthew McConaughey Courted for 'The Stand,' Nearing Deal for 'Gold&aMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:27:00 PM
- The Mindy Project Taps Niecy Nash as Mindy's RivalMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:22:00 PM
- Steve Martin in Negotiations to Star in Disney's 'Magic Camp'MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:01:00 PM
- 'Game of Thrones,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'Silicon Valley&
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Mel Gibson will pay $750,000 to his ex-girlfriend and continue to provide housing and financial support for their young daughter to resolve a bitter, long-running legal fight, a judge said Wednesday.
The settlement is intended to end the bickering and accusations that have permeated the case handled in mostly secret proceedings for more than a year, Superior Court Judge Peter Lichtman said.
Gibson's payments to Russian musician Oksana Grigorieva are dependent on a lasting truce.
As part of the agreement, their daughter will receive support equal to what the actor-director provides his other seven children. The former couple will split custody of the girl, who turns 2 in late October.
RELATED: Casual Parenting Celebs
In addition, Gibson will keep paying for a multimillion-dollar house he purchased for Grigorieva and their daughter. The house will be sold when the girl turns 18 and she will receive the proceeds.
As a result of the settlement, Grigorieva cannot pursue a civil case against the Oscar winner, and both sides were ordered not to speak or write about their relationship.
Lichtman specifically said neither side could release any audio recordings, an apparent reference to a series of racist and sexist rants by Gibson that were leaked to the celebrity website RadarOnline.com.
RELATED: Celeb Roommates
Grigorieva's payments were divided into thirds, with the final payment occurring in 2016 if the agreement is not breached.
Gibson spoke a handful of times during the hearing, mainly to acknowledge he understood terms of the settlement.
"I'd like to say thanks your honor for bringing this matter to a reasonable conclusion," the "Braveheart" star said.
Grigorieva also thanked the judge and said she hoped the resolution meant Gibson's career could resume.
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Check out the many sexy bikinis Jessica Alba has rocked over the years.Watch Video »
From Gwen Stefani to Britney Spears, check out some of the best all-time style moments from the Teen Choice Awards.Watch Video »
From Gisele Bundchen to Kerry Washington and more stars who've married football stars.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFashion Offenders
From Crowd Ignite