Michael Douglas blames oral sex for throat cancer
- Photo: John Parra/WireImage1 of 17
- Photo: FVA/WENN2 of 17
- Photo: FVA/WENN3 of 17
- Photo: Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images North America4 of 17
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage5 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage6 of 17
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage7 of 17
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage8 of 17
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage9 of 17
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage10 of 17
- Photo: Javier Mateo/StarTraks11 of 17
- Photo: Andrew Toth/StarTraks12 of 17
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin13 of 17
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage14 of 17
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage15 of 17
- Photo: Said Elatab/Splash News16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Warner Bros. Sets 'Nice Guys' Release for Summer 2016MSNEntertainment 9/2/2014 11:21:00 AM
- Ratings: NBC and Fox Tie on Labor DayMSNEntertainment 9/2/2014 11:04:00 AM
- Spike TV Names 'Crossbones' Producer Ted Gold as SVP, Scripted Original SeriesMSNEntertainment 9/2/2014 10:36:00 AM
- US Journalist Steven Sotloff Beheaded by ISIS in New Video (Reports)MSNEntertainment 9/2/2014 10:34:00 AM
- Ceelo Green Accused of Tweeting: 'People Who Have Really Been Raped REMEMBER!!!'MSNEntertainment 9/2/2014 9:09:00 AM
- Warner Bros. Sets 'Nice Guys' Release for Summer 2016
LONDON (AP) — Actor Michael Douglas says that his throat cancer was caused by a virus he contracted by performing oral sex on women — a claim that a doctor called questionable.
The Guardian newspaper published an interview Monday in which Douglas blamed cunnilingus for the grave malady that was diagnosed in 2010.
RELATED: Insured celeb body parts
The 68-year-old Douglas has been free of cancer for more than two years after receiving extensive chemotherapy and has returned to acting.
A two-time Oscar winner, Douglas has starred in many movies, including "Basic Instinct" and "Fatal Attraction." He is currently appearing in an acclaimed biopic about Liberace.
He told the newspaper his cancer had been caused by having contracted the human papillomavirus (HPV), which he said led to cancer.
"It's a sexually transmitted disease," Douglas said of the virus.
RELATED: Hottest royal beach bods
Dr. Michael Brady, who specializes in sexual health as medical director of the Terrence Higgins Trust, told The Associated Press that oral sex could have contributed to Douglas's cancer but that it was difficult to pinpoint a single cause.
He pointed out that Douglas had been a smoker and a drinker, two factors that he said are the most common causes of oral cancer.
"There are often a number of factors, genetic, environmental, viral, that could be playing a role," he said.
RELATED: Celebs without makeup
Brady said there are hundreds of different types of HPV virus and that in most cases it is not harmful. The risk is so low, he said, that he does not believe people should worry or change their sexual practices.
Doctors estimate up to about one third of mouth and throat cancers are HPV-related and that the types of HPV found in the mouth are likely to have been caused by oral sex. Still, most high-risk HPV types are linked to genital cancers. For some oral cancers, certain sexual behaviors, like having oral sex with four or more people in your lifetime, can raise the risk, according to Britain's Department of Health. Oral cancers caused by HPV are most common in straight men in their 40s and 50s.
Douglas is married to the actress Catherine Zeta-Jones.
See where Hollywood's A-listers have spent the summer.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Gwyneth Paltrow, get the romance rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGuilty Plea
From Crowd Ignite