Michael Douglas misled fans over cancer diagnosis
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 8
- Photo: Vince Bucci/Invision/AP2 of 8
- Photo: FVA/WENN3 of 8
- Photo: Willi Schneider/Rex USA4 of 8
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage5 of 8
- Photo: Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images North America6 of 8
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage7 of 8
More Celeb News
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'SupernatMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:38:41 PM
- Paul Walker Death: 'Fast & Furious' Franchise Posts Tribute on YouTube (ViMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:35:39 PM
- If PG-13 Is the Moneymaker, Why Is Hollywood Cranking Out So Many R-Rated Movies?MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:28:09 PM
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu to direct 'Jungle Book' movie for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:26:12 PM
- Best & Worst 2013: Movie Moments of the Year '12 Years a Slave,' &apoMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:19:43 PM
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'Supernat
Michael Douglas has revealed his cancer battle was sparked by a tumor on his tongue but doctors advised him to tell the world he had the disease in his throat because he was facing potentially horrific surgery to cut away a section of his jaw.
The "Wall Street" star was diagnosed with the illness in 2010 and underwent six months of grueling radiation treatment before announcing he was in remission in early 2011.
In his statement revealing the diagnosis, Douglas said he was suffering from throat cancer, but he recently revealed he actually had cancer of the tongue and was advised by doctors to lie about the illness. Interviewed by fellow movie star Samuel L. Jackson as part of British TV show "This Morning's Male Cancer Week," Douglas told the "Pulp Fiction" star of the horrifying moment he learned he had the illness.
He said, "(The doctor) said, 'Let's just say it's throat cancer.' I said, 'OK.' (He said) 'We don't want to say it's tongue cancer.' I said, 'Why is that?' He said, 'If you really want to know why, if we do have to do surgery it's not going to be pretty. You lose part of your jaw and your tongue and all that stuff'.' I was (saying), 'OK, sure. I'm with you.'
"I wouldn't be able to talk. (I would have to do) silent movies! (When directors ask,) 'What's your good side?' (I'd be saying) 'I'll tell you what my good side is - right here! I have no side over here.'"
The actor added of his ailment, "(The checkups) start out every three months and then after that you get to six months, and just before I got here I had my last checkup because I passed two years, and I'm clean. And with my type of cancer, if you're clean after two years, there's a 95 percent chance it's not coming back."
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Check out which of Hollywood's geeky guys get all the hottest ladies.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
From Miranda and Orlando to the Jenners, see some of Hollywood's most amicable exes on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See which celebs had the best and worst beach bodies of 2012.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCause of Death
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite