Michael Douglas misled fans over cancer diagnosis
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 8
- Photo: Vince Bucci/Invision/AP2 of 8
- Photo: FVA/WENN3 of 8
- Photo: Willi Schneider/Rex USA4 of 8
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage5 of 8
- Photo: Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images North America6 of 8
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage7 of 8
More Celeb News
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From SonyMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:32:00 PM
- Booboo Stewart Drama 'Sonata' Plucks Director Brendan Foley (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Look Out, Camp Counselors: A Friday the 13th Series Is in the WorksMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:26:00 PM
- 'Godzilla' Draws Fire in New IMAX Poster (Photo)MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 4:09:00 PM
- What Is Survivor's Jeremiah "Kicking Himself" Over?MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 3:29:00 PM
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Will Get Massive Rollout From Sony
Michael Douglas has revealed his cancer battle was sparked by a tumor on his tongue but doctors advised him to tell the world he had the disease in his throat because he was facing potentially horrific surgery to cut away a section of his jaw.
The "Wall Street" star was diagnosed with the illness in 2010 and underwent six months of grueling radiation treatment before announcing he was in remission in early 2011.
In his statement revealing the diagnosis, Douglas said he was suffering from throat cancer, but he recently revealed he actually had cancer of the tongue and was advised by doctors to lie about the illness. Interviewed by fellow movie star Samuel L. Jackson as part of British TV show "This Morning's Male Cancer Week," Douglas told the "Pulp Fiction" star of the horrifying moment he learned he had the illness.
He said, "(The doctor) said, 'Let's just say it's throat cancer.' I said, 'OK.' (He said) 'We don't want to say it's tongue cancer.' I said, 'Why is that?' He said, 'If you really want to know why, if we do have to do surgery it's not going to be pretty. You lose part of your jaw and your tongue and all that stuff'.' I was (saying), 'OK, sure. I'm with you.'
"I wouldn't be able to talk. (I would have to do) silent movies! (When directors ask,) 'What's your good side?' (I'd be saying) 'I'll tell you what my good side is - right here! I have no side over here.'"
The actor added of his ailment, "(The checkups) start out every three months and then after that you get to six months, and just before I got here I had my last checkup because I passed two years, and I'm clean. And with my type of cancer, if you're clean after two years, there's a 95 percent chance it's not coming back."
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the former cast of "The Girls Next Door" is today.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTLife in Pics
From Crowd Ignite