Michael Douglas' son gets 4 1/2 more years in prison
- Photo: DH1/WENN1 of 12
- Photo: AP1/WENN2 of 12
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage.com3 of 12
- Photo: Police Mug Shot/AP4 of 12
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage.com5 of 12
- Photo: Ron Galella, Ltd./WireImage6 of 12
- Photo: J. Countess/WireImage7 of 12
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage8 of 12
- Photo: Mark Sullivan/WireImage9 of 12
- Photo: Ron Galella/WireImage10 of 12
- Photo: Jemal Countess/WireImage11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Director Costa-Gavras: European Cinema Could Not Survive Without State Protection MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:39:13 PM
- HBO Passes on Darren Aronofsky Pilot 'Hobgoblin,' FX Eyes Project (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:34:40 PM
- Journalist Michael Hastings Dead at 33MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:21:05 PM
- Paul Feig Developing Female James Bond Comedy 'Susan Cooper'MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:06:06 PM
- Reed Elsevier Sues Jay Penske's Variety, Claims $1.3 Million OwedMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 3:18:15 PM
- Director Costa-Gavras: European Cinema Could Not Survive Without State Protection
NEW YORK (AP) - A judge called the imprisoned son of actor Michael Douglas reckless and irresponsible as he nearly doubled his prison sentence Wednesday from five years to 9½ years for repeated drug offenses.
RELATED: Expensive celeb divorces
U.S. District Judge Richard Berman in Manhattan cited Cameron Douglas' "history of reckless behavior" as he imposed a new punishment that was more than double what prosecutors were seeking for Douglas' guilty plea to drug charges that arose from his successful efforts to smuggle drugs into prison.
Berman added 4½ years to the five-year term he gave Douglas last year for his guilty plea in connection with his sales of methamphetamine in July 2009 from a high-end Manhattan hotel.
The judge said he had never had a case before in which a defendant "has so recklessly, wantonly, flagrantly and criminally acted in such a destructive and manipulative fashion as Cameron Douglas has."
Berman reminded Douglas' lawyers that he had warned at the earlier sentencing that it was the defendant's last chance to turn around a life derailed by drugs and mental troubles stretching into his teenage years.
RELATED: Famous celeb offspring
The judge also criticized the government for being too lenient on Douglas after he repeatedly violated prison rules by arranging to get drugs. The judge said the violations included four instances in which a lawyer smuggled anti-anxiety prescription drugs into prison for Douglas in her bra. The lawyer entered into a deferred prosecution agreement that enabled the charges against her to be dropped if she stayed out of trouble for six months.
The 33-year-old Douglas asked the judge to give him another chance at treatment.
"I cannot seem to find comfort within my own skin," he said. "I feel ashamed. I feel defeated. ... I know that I bear in my heart what it will take to overcome this plague."
He asked Berman to give him "the room to deal with this situation medically."
His lawyer also requested leniency for his client, saying that his efforts to get drugs in prison were not unusual for a drug addict who had not been rehabilitated.
The judge noted at one point that Michael Douglas had told probation authorities that his son had been treated six or seven times for drug addiction, but had not completed the treatments.
Berman recommended that Cameron Douglas be sent to a prison facility that can offer him drug treatment and mental health care, although the final decision is let up to the Bureau of Prisons. He also recommended that Douglas be allowed family visits, which have been disallowed since he has been held in solitary confinement for 11 months for violating prison rules.
Earlier this year, Douglas testified as part of a cooperation deal with the government at a drug supplier's trial.
He said he had been addicted to heroin for five years before his 2009 arrest.
The cooperation by the son of the Oscar-winning actor allowed him to escape the mandatory minimum of 10 years in prison that the charges to which he pleaded otherwise required.
- Spike TV's 2013 Guys Choice Awards
- 2013 GLAAD Awards
- 2013 Coachella Hard Rock Lounge
- 2013 MTV Movie Awards
- Kids' Choice Awards 2013
- Elton John's Oscar Viewing Bash
- 2013 Grammy Awards
- 2013 Clive Davis Pre-Grammy Party
- 2013 Critics' Choice Movie Awards
- 2012 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 'Breaking Dawn: Part 2' Premiere Red Carpet
- 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 MTV Video Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 MTV Movie Awards Red Carpet
- 'The Dictator' London Premiere
- 2012 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 People's Choice Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 MTV Video Music Awards
- 2011 MTV Movie Awards
- 2011 Kids' Choice Awards Orange Carpet
- 2011 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 Golden Globes NBC After Party Red Carpet
- 2011 People's Choice Awards Red Carpet
- 2010 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2010 MTV Video Music Awards White Carpet
- 2010 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- Spike Awards Red Carpet
- MTV Movie Awards Red Carpet
- Wango Tango Red Carpet
- Hot Tub Time Machine Red Carpet
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite