Michelle Obama talks mentorship, style, and finding Mr. RightRelated: Celeb Gloss, Barack Obama, Michelle Obama
- Photo: Matthias Vriens-McGrath/Glamour1 of 11
- Photo: Matthias Vriens-McGrath/Glamour2 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com3 of 11
- Photo: AP4 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com5 of 11
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com6 of 11
- Photo: Amy Sancetta/AP7 of 11
- Photo: Dennis Van Tine/Retna Ltd.8 of 11
- Photo: AP9 of 11
- Photo: Retna Digital10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Mike Darnell Talks Fox Exit, 'American Idol,' Whether 'X Factor'MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 4:46:42 PM
- 3 Reasons Lena Dunham Can't Laugh Off 'Girls' Porn ParodyMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 4:35:33 PM
- YouTube's Most Popular Rappers Are White and Nerdy - and Bigger Than Bieber, PSYMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 4:00:39 PM
- 'The East' Filmmakers Go From Dumpster-Diving to Sundance Darlings ... and Get a TMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 3:43:13 PM
- WME Signs Departing Fox Exec Mike Darnell (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 2:11:54 PM
- Mike Darnell Talks Fox Exit, 'American Idol,' Whether 'X Factor'
By Melissa Hunter
In just nine months as the First Lady, Michelle Obama has risen to the occasion to become a major role model for young women all over the country. Glamour had the opportunity to interview Michelle for their Women of the Year issue (buy on newsstands Nov. 10th, or click here for the full article on Glamour's Web site) about mentorship for young women and how any woman can reach their individual goals.
Katie Couric conducted the interview for Glamour (so they could talk one-female-icon-on-one-female-icon) and she gives some interesting insight on how to be a proactive, happy, successful woman (who also happens to have impeccable style). And one tip if you ever have the chance to interact with the First Lady: Don't dare call her cute.
On the significance of mentorship for women:
"I think that mentoring is such a critical part of the role I can play in this position. I see how little bits of exposure and big bits of exposure really change my girls significantly, and I want that for more girls around the country and the world."
On not sitting around waiting for your mentor in shining armor:
"I was blessed throughout my entire career. I had people rooting for me. It started with my parents, but it extended to almost every teacher that I had. When I was a young lawyer, there were other women and men in the firm who took me under their wing. Look for those mentors, because sometimes mentors don't find you -- sometimes you seek them out. Oftentimes, they're flattered and glad to lend a hand."
On taking a lead from men and *gasp!* not putting yourself last as a woman:
"I have always tried to put my kids first, and then ... put myself a really close second, as opposed to fifth or seventh. One thing that I've learned from male role models is that they don't hesitate to invest in themselves."
On balancing fashion critics with sartorial individuality:
"People are always going to have opinions, and people have a right to their opinions, particularly when you're the First Lady; you're representing the nation. So I can't be surprised that people are interested. But I've tried to be at peace with the choices that I make first, and then be open to everyone else's reflection."
On what to look for in a man (she seems to have some cred in this department):
"Cute's good. But cute only lasts for so long, and then it's, 'Who are you as a person?' Don't look at the bankbook or the title. Look at the heart. Look at the soul ... When you're dating a man, you should always feel good ... You shouldn't be in a relationship with somebody who doesn't make you completely happy and make you feel whole."
It would also help if we could just clone some Baracks for all of us.
MORE ON GLAMOUR:
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
- Chief BeefKaty Perry incites a Twitter feud with a 17-year-old rapper. Get the dirty details on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Fashion BluesKourtney Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens and Tara Reid all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Fights & FeudsGet the scoop on some of the most recent Hollywood feuds on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Svelte BodKhloe Kardashian showed off her svelte figure, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Last TripGet the scoop on Kim’s final pre-baby Parisian getaway on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Magic LoveThe stars of "Now You See Me" chat learning magic tricks and experiencing the real deal.Watch Video »
- Workout ObsessedGwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite