Michelle Williams' Native American-Inspired Magazine Cover Blasted as OffensiveRelated: Michelle Williams
- Photo: AnOther Magazine/.1 of 11
By Jen Odell
Why is fair, blond Glinda the Good Witch -- aka Michelle Williams -- wearing long black braids accented with feathers, dark makeup and a forlorn frown? Or, as Jezebel puts it, why is the actress wearing "Redface" in 2013?
The cover of British magazine AnOther features a black and white image of Williams decked out in what appears to be Native American garb, complete with what Refinery29 observes are "contours" created by makeup shading that evoke images of Native American women from the early 1900s.
Given the "no place like home" headline reference, we assume the look has something to do with promoting her new film, "Oz the Great and Powerful." But Refinery29 also points out that it seems more than a little callous to mention "home" in the context of a people whose homeland was stolen by the ancestors of the guy who wrote all those Oz stories. So what gives?
Apparently, the idea behind Williams' shoot was to show in a variety of looks from across the ages. The magazine hit newsstands with a number of different cover photos of Williams as well. But if recent apologies and retractions for other missteps regarding the portrayal of Native American stereotypes are any indication, the blogosphere might well have the upper hand here. After all, it was just a few months ago that both Victoria's Secret and Karlie Kloss apologized for the headdress the model wore in its annual Angels show.
Keep clicking for a quick reminder of what the cover-girl usually looks like. ...
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite