Natalie Portman Opens Up About Shocking Weight Loss for 'Black Swan'Related: Natalie Portman
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com1 of 6
- Photo: Fox Searchlight Pictures/Promotional2 of 6
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com3 of 6
- Photo: Fox Searchlight/Promotional4 of 6
- Photo: WENN5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Amy Baker Promoted to SVP of HR for ITV Studios AmericaMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 8:43:48 AM
- Cannes Review: Soulless, Despicable 'Only God Forgives' Shuts Up and Slices LimbsMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 8:36:47 AM
- NYC woman gets probation for stalking actressMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 8:30:04 AM
- Robin Roberts Memoir Coming Next YearMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 8:25:40 AM
- Review: Hawke, Delpy pitch-perfect in 'Midnight'MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 8:14:26 AM
- Amy Baker Promoted to SVP of HR for ITV Studios America
Embodying the role of a ballerina in the new psychological thriller "Black Swan" wasn't easy for Natalie Portman.
A year before shooting, she had to undergo a drastic ballet, cross-training and swimming regime. In the end, the petite, 5'3" actress, 29, shed 20 lbs.
"I think it was just the physicality of it all that was the most extreme," she told UsMagazine.com Monday at IFP's 20th Annual Gotham Independent Film Awards in New York. "I mean, I had never gotten that much training. To be doing five to eight hours a day ... was really a challenge."
How did she do it? "With discipline," she told Us.
Despite the physical demands of the role, she said she was happy to throw herself into the part, for which she is already generating Oscar buzz.
"I think the most important thing is coming to work as prepared as you can be every day and working as hard as you can every day," she told Us. "If you do that, you can always ensure that you have an amazing experience."
Would she ever undergo similar training for a film role again?
"I think I would do this kind of training again because it's just so rewarding," she told Us. "It's always one of those things where, when you put in a lot, you get out a lot."
She said she'll even incorporate some of the skills she learned into her day-to-day life.
"Not ballet," she told Us, "but I'll always dance!"
More on Wonderwall:
More from UsWeekly:
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite