Nervous Emily Blunt 'laughed hysterically' in Obama's face
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage1 of 16
- Photo: © Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.2 of 16
- Photo: DZILLA/Bauer-Griffin3 of 16
- Photo: AXELLE WOUSSEN/Bauer-Griffin4 of 16
- Photo: GSI/StarTraks5 of 16
- Photo: LCG/WENN6 of 16
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage7 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Wolf/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: Carlo Allegri/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage11 of 16
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage12 of 16
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage13 of 16
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage14 of 16
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Warner Bros. Eyes Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe Noir Movie 'The Nice Guys'MSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 4:40:00 PM
- Gary Oldman in Talks to Join Kevin Costner in Ariel Vroman's 'Criminal'MSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 4:36:00 PM
- 'Getting On' Creators Credit HBO Go for Staying on the AirMSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Jon Daly Joins Zach Galifianakis, Kristen Wiig in Armored Car Heist ComedyMSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Fox Announces Premiere Dates for Gotham, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and MoreMSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 3:59:00 PM
- Warner Bros. Eyes Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe Noir Movie 'The Nice Guys'
British actress Emily Blunt can't help but cringe whenever she recalls her recent meeting with President Barack Obama - because she lost control of her nerves and began laughing "hysterically" in his face.
RELATED: Style Profile: Emily Blunt
Blunt was attending the Kennedy Center Honors in Washington, D.C. in December to help pay tribute to her "The Devil Wears Prada" co-star Meryl Streep when she was offered the opportunity to greet the President.
RELATED: Stars attend the 2012 Academy Awards
But the meeting didn't quite go as smoothly as she'd planned when Obama lavished praise on Blunt for her screen work - and it all proved a little too much for her to handle.
RELATED: Is Natalie Portman secretly married?
She recalls, "I'm from England so I didn't think I would be as excited as I apparently was ]to meet Obama], so I was like, he won't know who I am, he'll shake my hand and say, 'Hi, nice to meet you', move on.
I went to shake his hand and he turned to me, and he put his hand on top of mine and he went, 'I love you. I love what you do, I've seen all of your work.' And I started to laugh hysterically in his face and I didn't say anything except I think I said, 'I appreciate that' or 'I appreciate you' or just something really awful and I couldn't stop laughing!"
Her bizarre reaction prompted event officials to cut short the meeting and guide her away - and Blunt admits it was a complete disaster.
She says, "I don't know what happened, I've never fallen to pieces like that in front of anyone... So I got gently removed. I remember feeling a kinda firm grip on my arm as I was ushered away. And Michelle [Obama]) gave me a hug, I think out of pity, because I was such a mess!"
Reese Witherspoon shares photos of her burgeoning friendship with Sofia Vergara on Instagram on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Rihanna shows her softer, sweeter side -- plus a newfound maternal instinct! -- on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of the cutest celeb baby bumps hitting the beach this summer.Watch Video »
From Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz to Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, take a look at some of Hollywood's strangest couples.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHorsing Around
From Crowd Ignite