Nicole Kidman: Oscar win showed me emptiness of life after Tom Cruise divorce
- Photo: PF1/WENN1 of 12
- Photo: Splash News2 of 12
- Photo: AP Images/Invision/AP3 of 12
- Photo: Fame Flynet4 of 12
- Photo: MICHAEL CAULFIELD/Invision/AP5 of 12
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP6 of 12
- Photo: BJJ/Fame Flynet7 of 12
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage8 of 12
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage9 of 12
- Photo: Matt Baron/Rex USA10 of 12
- Photo: Invision/AP11 of 12
More Celeb News
- ICM Partners Snags Steve Alexander From ResolutionMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 12:41:00 PM
- Sam Raimi announces planned 'The Last of Us' filmMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 12:13:14 PM
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Teams With Spritz Reading App to Make EveryonMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 11:38:00 AM
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' First Reveal at Comic-Con: Philip Seymour Hoffman IntroMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 11:14:00 AM
- AMC Greenlights Afghanistan Drama Pilot 'White City'MSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 10:49:00 AM
- ICM Partners Snags Steve Alexander From Resolution
What price success? Nicole Kidman's 2003 Oscar win should have been one of the happiest moments of her life. But it sounds like the victory was a hollow one for "The Hours" actress. Gracing the cover of Harper's Bazaar Australia's December issue, the 46-year-old movie star reveals that she found it difficult to revel in her professional accomplishments after the demise of her 11-year marriage to Tom Cruise.
Winning an Oscar "can show you the emptiness of your own life, which is kind of what it showed me," Page Six quotes the Australia native as telling the mag of her Best Actress win two years after her divorce from Cruise and three years before her wedding to second husband Keith Urban. "I was having professional success and my personal life was struggling."
The "Grace of Monaco" star and the "Jack Reacher" actor, 51 -- who have two adopted kids together, Bella and Connor -- split in 2001, 12 years after meeting on the set of "Days of Thunder." Their breakup shattered Kidman; she previously told Vanity Fair that she was at such a loss after their divorce that she found herself relating to suicidal author Virginia Woolf, whom she played in "The Hours."
"Walking into the river with those stones in my pockets -- I chose life," she told the mag of filming one particular scene. "At the time, I was at a low point, and by playing her, it put me into a place of appreciating life."
That sense of gratitude has carried over into her marriage to country singer Urban, with whom she has two young daughters, Sunday and Faith. And it's at least partly because of their quiet life in Tennessee that the "Paperboy" actress is now content to take on smaller, less flashy roles.
"I'm not carrying the whole film, and it's not six to seven months' work like 'Moulin Rouge!'" she reportedly says in her interview with Harper's Bazaar Australia. "I get to come for three weeks and then go home."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Kim Kardashian flaunts her bikini bod in two bizarre Instagram video clips on location in Thailand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Nick Cannon shows off a new cheetah print hairstyle on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian and Kanye West to Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher, check out the cutest celeb PDA.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSummer Stars
From Crowd Ignite