Nicole Kidman: Oscar win showed me emptiness of life after Tom Cruise divorce
- Photo: PF1/WENN1 of 12
- Photo: Splash News2 of 12
- Photo: AP Images/Invision/AP3 of 12
- Photo: Fame Flynet4 of 12
- Photo: MICHAEL CAULFIELD/Invision/AP5 of 12
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP6 of 12
- Photo: BJJ/Fame Flynet7 of 12
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage8 of 12
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage9 of 12
- Photo: Matt Baron/Rex USA10 of 12
- Photo: Invision/AP11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Mia Hansen-Love's EDM Movie 'Eden' Lands U.S. DistributionMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 10:56:00 AM
- Chelsea Handler's Dog Is a Lion King in Teaser for Netflix Comedy Special (Photo)MSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 9:43:00 AM
- Aaron Paul Joins Jamie Dornan in Miramax's 'The 9th Life of Louis Drax'MSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 9:32:00 AM
- Ratings: Gotham Cops Good Numbers — See How Scorpion and Forever DidMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 9:26:00 AM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 12:09 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 9:09:53 AM
- Mia Hansen-Love's EDM Movie 'Eden' Lands U.S. Distribution
What price success? Nicole Kidman's 2003 Oscar win should have been one of the happiest moments of her life. But it sounds like the victory was a hollow one for "The Hours" actress. Gracing the cover of Harper's Bazaar Australia's December issue, the 46-year-old movie star reveals that she found it difficult to revel in her professional accomplishments after the demise of her 11-year marriage to Tom Cruise.
Winning an Oscar "can show you the emptiness of your own life, which is kind of what it showed me," Page Six quotes the Australia native as telling the mag of her Best Actress win two years after her divorce from Cruise and three years before her wedding to second husband Keith Urban. "I was having professional success and my personal life was struggling."
The "Grace of Monaco" star and the "Jack Reacher" actor, 51 -- who have two adopted kids together, Bella and Connor -- split in 2001, 12 years after meeting on the set of "Days of Thunder." Their breakup shattered Kidman; she previously told Vanity Fair that she was at such a loss after their divorce that she found herself relating to suicidal author Virginia Woolf, whom she played in "The Hours."
"Walking into the river with those stones in my pockets -- I chose life," she told the mag of filming one particular scene. "At the time, I was at a low point, and by playing her, it put me into a place of appreciating life."
That sense of gratitude has carried over into her marriage to country singer Urban, with whom she has two young daughters, Sunday and Faith. And it's at least partly because of their quiet life in Tennessee that the "Paperboy" actress is now content to take on smaller, less flashy roles.
"I'm not carrying the whole film, and it's not six to seven months' work like 'Moulin Rouge!'" she reportedly says in her interview with Harper's Bazaar Australia. "I get to come for three weeks and then go home."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See how Kate Hudson embraces Instagram on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Sexy TV Stars
From Sofia Vergara to Justin Theroux, check out the rest of TV's hottest stars.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTInspiring Hubby!
From Crowd Ignite