Octavia Spencer: I Want to Lose 'Another 15 Pounds'
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage1 of 9
- Photo: Michael Stewart/WireImage.com2 of 9
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage3 of 9
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage4 of 9
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 9
- Photo: Kristian Dowling/Invision/AP6 of 9
- Photo: EN3/HSS/WENN7 of 9
- Photo: Michael Buckner/WireImage8 of 9
More Celeb News
- 'The Huntsman' Release Set for April 2016 and 'The Mummy' Moves MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 2:03:00 PM
- Shaquille O'Neal, Rapper Waka Flocka Flame Sued for Making Fun of Disabled Man on Social MeMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 12:17:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Premiere More Than Doubles Original's RatinMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:59:00 AM
- Peter Capaldi's 'Doctor Who' Season Debut Gets Theatrical RunMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:54:00 AM
- Exclusive: Mad Men's Rich Sommer Returning to ElementaryMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:54:00 AM
- 'The Huntsman' Release Set for April 2016 and 'The Mummy' Moves
It looks like Octavia Spencer is becoming the "It" woman of the 2012 awards season -- but don't expect "The Help" actress, 39, to shrink down to a tiny, tiny size as her stardom rises.
As she was at the Golden Globes two weeks ago, Spencer was the victor in the Supporting Actress category at Sunday's Screen Actors' Guild Awards, and was resplendent in a Tadashi Soji gown, Stuart Weitzman shoes and a Judith Leiber bag.
"Tadashi [is] a designer that knows how to cut for women who aren't size 2," she told reporters on the red carpet. She admitted she had a little assistance fitting into the gown. "This is Spanx, honey!"
Still, she said, "I am working out with a trainer," but her goals aren't extreme.
"I'm not trying to be a thin mint," Spencer clarified. "I'm just trying to be healthy and look good for me. So another 15 pounds and I will be fine."
In the press room inside the Shrine Auditorium after grabbing her award, she speculated on the pressures placed on actresses in Hollywood to look young -- and skinny.
"It's our society that has told [women] and continues to tell them that when you reach a certain age, you are no longer valuable. When your each a certain weight, you are [no longer] valuable," the Oscar nominee said.
Regardless, Spencer said, "I'm not healthy at this weight. I think anytime you have too much around the middle then there's a problem."
She feels sympathetic for women of all sizes, she added to reporters. "I feel for my overly thin women as much as I feel for the overly overweight women. I think there is a lot that needs to change."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew Look
From Crowd Ignite