- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage3 of 10
- Photo: Wagner Az/Pacific Coast News4 of 10
- Photo: WENN5 of 10
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage6 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage7 of 10
- Photo: WENN8 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Director Costa-Gavras: European Cinema Could Not Survive Without State Protection MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:39:13 PM
- HBO Passes on Darren Aronofsky Pilot 'Hobgoblin,' FX Eyes Project (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:34:40 PM
- Journalist Michael Hastings Dead at 33MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:21:05 PM
- Paul Feig Developing Female James Bond Comedy 'Susan Cooper'MSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 4:06:06 PM
- Reed Elsevier Sues Jay Penske's Variety, Claims $1.3 Million OwedMSNEntertainment 6/18/2013 3:18:15 PM
- Director Costa-Gavras: European Cinema Could Not Survive Without State Protection
NEW YORK (AP) -- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen took home the biggest prize at the annual Council of Fashion Designers of America awards. The former child TV stars were won the Womenswear Designer of the Year award Monday night for their collection called The Row.
"I'd like to thank you -- you," Mary-Kate, wearing an all-black ensemble, said, turning to her purple-clad twin, as she accepted.
Jessica Chastain, who wore a sparkly white dress by Prabal Gurung, announced the 25-year-olds as winners at Lincoln Center in front of an audience that drew not only from the fashion world but also from Hollywood.
RELATED: 2012 CFDA Awards
"Mad Men's" Jessica Pare gave Reed Krakoff his trophy as Best Designer of Accessories, and Matt Bomer of "White Collar" presented the award to menswear designer Billy Reid .
The previously announced style icon award went to Johnny Depp, but he was on the set of "The Lone Ranger" and didn't attend. He sent an email -- and filmmaker friend John Waters -- in his place.
Standing in front of a collage of Depp's outfits over the years, Waters said, "This man can't look ugly no matter how hard he tries."
Waters also accepted the international award on behalf of Tokyo-based Rei Kawakubo, who won honors as an international designer for her creative, balloon-like silhouettes created for the label Comme des Garcons. Waters said he was a fan of her clothes and that she also was a personal friend.
However, he joked, some people might describe her clothes as "disaster at the dry cleaner," rattling off the slew of warnings often found on washing labels.
RELATED: Fashion Hits and Misses: The 2012 Met Gala
Ceremony host Seth Meyers, who started the night in a suit by Band of Outsiders, took on many targets, from John Galliano to Marc Jacobs. After making fun of Jacobs' sheer lace "dress" worn over boxer shorts to last month's fashion gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the industry's other important red carpet event, Meyers proceeded to put on the getup later in the show.
Using what he called fashion terminology, Meyers described the outfit as "breezy."
And, no matter, he joked, if all the designers and models in the auditorium didn't like his act. "Fashion people like hating things more than they do liking things."
In presenting Tommy Hilfiger with the Lifetime Achievement Award, Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour said the designer could be pretty funny, especially in his imitations of famous people such as Karl Lagerfeld, Donna Karan and even Mick Jagger.
"As long as you're not imitating me, we're all good," the famously serious Wintour said.
CFDA president Diane von Furstenberg gave a shoutout to all the designers who have been members of the organization, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. "I'm the mother of all American designers. I can't pick a favorite child."
The CFDA also presents a series of awards sponsored by Swarovski to up-and-coming talent: Joseph Altuzarra won in the women's category, Phillip Lim in men's and Tabitha Simmons in accessories.
On the red carpet, Jason Wu came with Jessica Stam, and Zac Posen with Crystal Renn. Proenza Schouler designers Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez escorted Dakota Fanning, who wore an asymmetrical brocade dress.
Karen Elson wore a slashed-bodice green dress by Proenza Schouler, and Doutzen Kroes wore a black gown with a choker collar by Sophie Theallet,
Gurung said the black dress with sheer inserts he made for Zoe Saldana was a one of a kind.
Michael Kors walked in with Joan Smalls, who wore a cream-colored tank dress - the very first one she tried on for the event.
Kors said it wasn't bad having a model on his arm. "Joan is gorgeous, smart and has the same name as my mother."
- Spike TV's 2013 Guys Choice Awards
- 2013 GLAAD Awards
- 2013 Coachella Hard Rock Lounge
- 2013 MTV Movie Awards
- Kids' Choice Awards 2013
- Elton John's Oscar Viewing Bash
- 2013 Grammy Awards
- 2013 Clive Davis Pre-Grammy Party
- 2013 Critics' Choice Movie Awards
- 2012 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 'Breaking Dawn: Part 2' Premiere Red Carpet
- 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 MTV Video Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 MTV Movie Awards Red Carpet
- 'The Dictator' London Premiere
- 2012 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 People's Choice Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 MTV Video Music Awards
- 2011 MTV Movie Awards
- 2011 Kids' Choice Awards Orange Carpet
- 2011 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 Golden Globes NBC After Party Red Carpet
- 2011 People's Choice Awards Red Carpet
- 2010 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2010 MTV Video Music Awards White Carpet
- 2010 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- Spike Awards Red Carpet
- MTV Movie Awards Red Carpet
- Wango Tango Red Carpet
- Hot Tub Time Machine Red Carpet
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
See how this former Calvin Klein model's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
See how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite