Paltrow's stylist defends sheer no-underwear dress: 'This girl has taste'
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/Invision/AP1 of 5
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/Invision/Invision/AP2 of 5
- Photo: REUTERS/MARIO ANZUONI/Reuters3 of 5
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/Invision/Invision/AP4 of 5
More Celeb News
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'SupernatMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:38:41 PM
- Paul Walker Death: 'Fast & Furious' Franchise Posts Tribute on YouTube (ViMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:35:39 PM
- If PG-13 Is the Moneymaker, Why Is Hollywood Cranking Out So Many R-Rated Movies?MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:28:09 PM
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu to direct 'Jungle Book' movie for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:26:12 PM
- Best & Worst 2013: Movie Moments of the Year '12 Years a Slave,' &apoMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:19:43 PM
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'Supernat
Haters gonna hate, but Gwyneth Paltrow is getting the last laugh. The "Iron Man 3" actress came under fire this past week after walking the red carpet premiere for her new action flick in a revealing Antonio Berardi dress on Wednesday, Apr. 24. But, according to her stylist Elizabeth Saltzman, Paltrow never looked better.
"Not only was it our first choice, it's [also] beautiful, it's cool, it's daring in a no-daring way. Nonthreatening. Elegant," Saltzman told Us Weekly of Paltrow's gown, which featured a sheer side panel that revealed the entire length of her leg, from hip to toe. "It looked great on her … it showed off her body. It's spirit without being vulgar."
Saltzman also pointed out that Paltrow wasn't wearing the gown to nab attention -- rather, the Goop founder was only "having fun" with the outfit and showing off her healthy, toned body.
"The point is that this girl has taste, this girl has confidence," the stylist told Us. "And she's not flaunting anything but the hard work that she's put into being a happy body, happy person, healthy person. You don't see a whole lot of false fakeness going on there like some other people. She's always classic with a twist, classic with an edge."
Adds a source close to the actress: "She honestly felt it was a beautiful dress! Then she realized she couldn't wear underwear with it -- she tried it on with underwear first and then saw how bad it looked -- so she went for it."
"That's how Gwyneth is," the source continued. "She didn't know it would get such a negative reaction. She thought it was beautiful and fit the event."
The gown in question was an item from Berardi's fall/winter 2013 collection, and the actress wore it well, the designer told Grazia magazine. "Gwyneth manages to bridge the gap of glamour and modernity," he told the magazine. "She makes things look iconic!"
The 40-year-old actress sat down with Ellen DeGeneres on her talk show on Friday, Apr. 26, and admitted that she was a bit "humiliated" by the bad press the outfit had garnered. Especially, she shared, because she had a little "disaster" just prior to the red carpet reveal.
"I was doing a show and I changed there and I couldn't wear underwear. I don't think I can tell this story on TV," Paltrow said with a laugh. "Well, let's just say everyone went scrambling for a razor. …I work a '70s vibe. You know what I mean?"
RELATED ON WONDERWALL:
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Check out which of Hollywood's geeky guys get all the hottest ladies.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
From Miranda and Orlando to the Jenners, see some of Hollywood's most amicable exes on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See which celebs had the best and worst beach bodies of 2012.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBen vs. Casey
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite