Jason Patric seeks paternal rights after sperm donation
- Photo: Picture Perfect/Rex USA/.1 of 6
- Photo: Warner Bros/PF1/WENN2 of 6
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage3 of 6
- Photo: Wonderwall4 of 6
- Photo: JM11/WENN5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Captain America Cozies Up With Alice Eve in First Look at Chris Evans' Directorial Debut (PMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 10:04:00 AM
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 3,' 'Sinister Six,' 'Uncharted&MSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 9:39:00 AM
- 'Young and the Restless' to bring Shemar Moore back in SeptemberMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 9:17:00 AM
- 84 Percent of Projects Denied California Tax Credits Film ElsewhereMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 9:10:00 AM
- 'Lucy' Review: Scarlett Johansson Grows Smarter As the Movie Gets DumberMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 9:00:00 AM
- Captain America Cozies Up With Alice Eve in First Look at Chris Evans' Directorial Debut (P
Actor Jason Patric, known for his role in "The Lost Boys" and a guest-star part on "Entourage," is fighting to be recognized as the father of his ex-girlfriend Danielle Schreiber's son, Gus, after donating his sperm to her. However, Schreiber is not ready to give up her sole parental rights.
"During the course of my dating relationship with Jason, he was exposed to Gus," the actor's ex admitted to "Today" show co-host Savannah Guthrie on Monday. "Gus is my world. Anyone in my world would have contact with Gus."
Sitting beside Schreiber was her lawyer, Patty Glaser, who explained why the "facts, the law" and "common sense" are on her client's side in this case. "The law in California could not be clearer. He had an opportunity prior to the conception of this child to say, 'I want to be the dad.' He said 'no.' He not only said 'no,' he said, 'I want to keep it a secret.' And then right before the child was born, maybe four or five days before the child was born, he says it again in writing: He doesn't want to be the dad. He then comes in after the fact and by intimidation -- dad-by-intimidation -- he wants now to claim parenthood."
Schreiber was insistent during her interview that Patric has not earned the right to receive parental rights. "It's not about him having a relationship or contact with Gus. This is just about rights. ... Me preserving my right to be a sole legal parent, not having to share that with someone who has never intended to and never raised Gus, even when we were dating -- Jason never did anything to raise Gus. He never changed a single diaper."
Patric, 47, and his lawyer are set to appear on Katie Couric's talk show today to offer the actor's side of the story.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
From Sofia Vergara to Zac Efron, check out who's coupling up on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTexas Heat
From Crowd Ignite