Paul Haggis: Yes, Nazanin Boniadi Was Audited to Date Tom Cruise
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage1 of 14
- Photo: AP1/WENN2 of 14
- Photo: Todd Williamson/WireImage3 of 14
- Photo: AB1/WENN4 of 14
- Photo: KH1/WENN5 of 14
- Photo: FS2/WENN6 of 14
- Photo: KEN KATZ/StarTraks7 of 14
- Photo: Jay Valena/Retna Digital8 of 14
- Photo: NC1/TWT/WENN9 of 14
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage10 of 14
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage11 of 14
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN12 of 14
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage13 of 14
More Celeb News
- Tribeca: Patrick Stewart and Mary Elizabeth Winstead Steal the Show on Night 3MSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 12:36:00 AM
- Bryan Singer Accuser's Lawyer Says More Sex Abuse Lawsuits Against 'Hollywood InsiMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 7:39:00 PM
- Ryan Seacrest Set to Renew 'American Idol' Contract, but NBCU and E! Future UncertMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 7:14:00 PM
- '24's' Joel Surnow on Directorial Debut 'Small Time:' &MSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 3:48:00 PM
- 'Mad Men' Final Season Wish-List: What Don Draper's Fate Should Be (GuestMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 3:22:00 PM
- Tribeca: Patrick Stewart and Mary Elizabeth Winstead Steal the Show on Night 3
In an excerpt from Vanity Fair's October cover story, special correspondent Maureen Orth describes how high-ranking Scientology officials were tasked with finding a suitable partner for Tom Cruise in 2004.
According to Orth's sources, officials settled on Nazanin Boniadi, an Iranian-born, London-raised actress. The two dated from November 2004 to January 2005. (Scientology representatives deny any search took place and dismissed the article's sources as disgruntled apostates.)
On Sept. 2, Oscar-winning filmmaker and former Scientologist Paul Haggis wrote an email to Showbiz 411 confirming the auditing took place. According to Vanity Fair, Boniadi, 32, was audited every day in October 2004 and was allegedly "told to lose her braces, her red highlights and her boyfriend" before meeting Cruise the following month in New York.
Though Boniadi did eventually fall in love with Cruise, 50, the actor's frequent public displays of affection and intense adoration became too much to bear, Orth's sources claim. Following a series of incidents with high-ranking Scientology officials, Boniadi's relationship with Cruise reached a turning point. She was eventually forced to leave Cruise's home, where she lived, and move into Scientology's Celebrity Centre. She was later transferred to another Scientology center in Florida.
In Haggis' email, he claims to have known Boniadi for three years.
"I met her through a mutual friend when I was doing my own personal research into the allegations against Scientology, before I wrote my letter of resignation," Haggis wrote. "Naz was embarrassed by her unwitting involvement in this incident and never wanted it to come out, so I kept silent. However I was deeply disturbed by how the highest ranking members of a church could so easily justify using one of their members; how they so callously punished her and then so effectively silenced her when it was done."
"It wasn't just the threats; they actually made her feel ashamed, when all she had been was human and trusting," Haggis, 59, added.
Haggis went on to explain his own reasons for leaving Scientology and said he empathizes with Boniadi. "In Naz's case, she has no right to feel ashamed. She is not only a terrific actress at the beginning of a very promising career, she is a dedicated human rights activist and a truly lovely and caring person," he said. "The last thing she wanted or needed is this kind of publicity, but here it is, and I am sure she will deal with it with the same grace and dignity she exudes in her daily life."
Haggis added that "Naz quietly and privately resigned from the church a couple of years ago after several years of trying to handle this injustice internally, to no avail."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Paul Haggis: Yes, Nazanin Boniadi Was Audited to Date Tom Cruise
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Kim Kardashian, Emma Stone, and Solange Knowles all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Lena Dunham, and Anne Hathaway all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian, Kristin Davis, and Emma Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite