Philip Seymour Hoffman Had Plans With Kids on Day of His Death
- Photo: JM11/WENN1 of 5
- Photo: Carlo Allegri/Invision/AP2 of 5
- Photo: Rob Latour/Rex USA3 of 5
- Photo: DM1/WENN4 of 5
More Celeb News
- U2 guitarist gets boost in bid for Malibu mansionsMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 2:26:14 PM
- Kim Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens and More Celebs Part of a New Nude Photos Leak?MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 2:01:00 PM
- Vanessa Hudgens, Hope Solo Are Latest Victims of Nude Photo Leaks (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 1:35:00 PM
- Polly Bergen, 'Cape Fear' Actress, Dead at 84MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 1:30:00 PM
- Ruby Dee memorialized in NYC with song and danceMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 1:10:22 PM
- U2 guitarist gets boost in bid for Malibu mansions
Hollywood lost a legend in the making, and three young kids lost their dad, when Philip Seymour Hoffman died suddenly on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 2. The Oscar-winning actor, 46 at the time of his death, was supposed to pick up his children on the day he passed away -- but, tragically, he never showed.
A source tells Us Weekly his friends and family began to worry when he failed to get his kids -- son Cooper and daughters Tallulah and Willa -- from costume designer Mimi O'Donnell, his longtime partner. It was "uncharacteristic of him" not to be there, the insider says. Another source notes that he was supposed to watch the Super Bowl with his son.
A friend, playwright David Bar Katz, went to his West Village apartment to check on him, and found him alone in the bathroom with a needle in his arm, the NYPD confirms. Medical examiners and detectives arrived on the scene not long after.
"I saw him last week, and he was clean and sober, his old self," Katz told the New York Times of the Capote star, who completed a 10-day rehab stint in May 2013 after a relapse following 23 years of sobriety. "I really thought this chapter was over."
As previously reported, Hoffman's family released a statement in the wake of his death. "We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone," the statement read. "This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTJLaw at iHeart
From Crowd Ignite