Philip Seymour Hoffman Had Plans With Kids on Day of His Death
- Photo: JM11/WENN1 of 5
- Photo: Carlo Allegri/Invision/AP2 of 5
- Photo: Rob Latour/Rex USA3 of 5
- Photo: DM1/WENN4 of 5
More Celeb News
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-HostMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Brett Ratner to Produce Donna Tartt's 'The Goldfinch' for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:39:00 PM
- Sherri Shepherd Joins Ice Cube, Kevin Hart in 'Ride Along 2' for First Post-&aMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- Comic-Con 'Zombie Walk' Accident: Fate of Next Year's Event Is UncertainMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter Signs New Overall Deal With 20th TVMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:00:00 PM
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-Host
Hollywood lost a legend in the making, and three young kids lost their dad, when Philip Seymour Hoffman died suddenly on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 2. The Oscar-winning actor, 46 at the time of his death, was supposed to pick up his children on the day he passed away -- but, tragically, he never showed.
A source tells Us Weekly his friends and family began to worry when he failed to get his kids -- son Cooper and daughters Tallulah and Willa -- from costume designer Mimi O'Donnell, his longtime partner. It was "uncharacteristic of him" not to be there, the insider says. Another source notes that he was supposed to watch the Super Bowl with his son.
A friend, playwright David Bar Katz, went to his West Village apartment to check on him, and found him alone in the bathroom with a needle in his arm, the NYPD confirms. Medical examiners and detectives arrived on the scene not long after.
"I saw him last week, and he was clean and sober, his old self," Katz told the New York Times of the Capote star, who completed a 10-day rehab stint in May 2013 after a relapse following 23 years of sobriety. "I really thought this chapter was over."
As previously reported, Hoffman's family released a statement in the wake of his death. "We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone," the statement read. "This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek in Photos
From Crowd Ignite