Philip Seymour Hoffman posed for chilling portrait session at Sundance two weeks before death
- Photo: Victoria Will/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: JM11/WENN2 of 10
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: DM1/WENN4 of 10
- Photo: MATT BARON /BEImages/Rex USA5 of 10
- Photo: Rob Latour/Rex USA6 of 10
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage7 of 10
- Photo: Carlo Allegri/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'Top Chef' Season 12 to Premiere in OctoberMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:48:00 AM
- Bill Murray Comedy 'Rock the Kasbah' Gets Release DateMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:32:00 AM
- Seth Meyers Gears Up to Host the Emmy Awards MSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:32:00 AM
- Former Legendary Digital Chief Tom Lesinski Forms Energi EntertainmentMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:21:00 AM
- Miles Teller on Lending Clothes to Hook-Ups: 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back' (PhMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:17:00 AM
- 'Top Chef' Season 12 to Premiere in October
Philip Seymour Hoffman sat down for this chilling portrait session at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, exactly two weeks before his Sunday, Feb. 2 death from an apparent drug overdose at the age of 46. An eyewitness who encountered Hoffman before the image was taken tells Us Weekly the actor "didn't look well" while promoting his new spy movie, "A Most Wanted Man."
The devastating tintype, wet collodion-style image, which was taken by Associated Press photographer Victoria Will on Jan. 19, shows a more somber side of Hoffman -- looking haunted and slightly agitated. "I remember looking at him and thinking he didn't look well," the source adds to Us. "He didn't look like someone who took care of himself."
The eyewitness says right before Hoffman sat down for the portrait session, the Oscar winner had gotten into an altercation on the red carpet. "He had gotten in an argument with a paparazzo outside," the insider recalls. "It got ugly."
Another eyewitness, who was at the premiere of A Most Wanted Man at the Eccles Theatre, also notes the actor's disheveled state that day: "He came very dressed down, not put together, but I remember seeing him smiling."
Hoffman spoke to very few outlets during his stay at Sundance, but told PopStopTV of his character in "A Most Wanted Man:" "I connected a lot with him. I think it's hard for anyone not to connect with the loneliness. He's a pretty lonely, driven, obsessive guy who's unforgiving of himself in a lot of ways. [He has] a lot of traits a lot of people carry."
As previously reported, Hoffman entered rehab for a 10-day stint back in May 2013. The actor, who credited "a great group of friends and family" for encouraging him to seek treatment, had been sober for more than 23 years when he had relapsed.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTMemorable Looks
From Crowd Ignite